Discuss American wiring in UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RoG03

-
Reaction score
Hi,
My girlfriend and I moved to the UK this year. She works at a university and has a work visa, and I am an electrician from the us. I'm going to be getting a work visa soon and i was looking for information on how i can apply my trade here.
I'm not sure if there is a test, or reciprocation of my american certification etc. I've been in the trade for 18 years, so i know what i'm doing and could probably pass a test if i studied the local codes. I'm mostly looking for some guidance or even a suggestion as to which forum i should be posting this.
Thanks in advance.

we have similar electrickery over here, but we usually test circuits before doing the bang test. this forum is a useful source of info on our regs. dunno about what hoops you'd need to go through before being allowed to work here legit. that's for others to advise.

I think your best bet Mate would be to talk to your Embassy over here, to put you in contact with someone in the know.
I have worked in the US on occasions, and although as Tel says it's similar, but differing in many areas, for example never saw a Yank Sparks do any testing which is a big thing over here, if you get no joy from your Commercial department, you could always contact one of the Competent Persons Schemes that run in the UK NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT, STROMA The EIC could help maybe, or perhaps the City and Guilds , Sorry if this info seems random, but thats all I can help you with, there may be others who could help, but are at work and offline, hang on until they get home and have a beer or two, someone I'm sure will be able to give you the info you require, good luck.

Live = Hot
Earth = Ground

Not much else you need to know;)

Ok, apart from our cable colours.... our old colours... the different voltages, frequency... and our electrickery runs up the left hand side of the cable:p
Not very helpful LS

In the US they have a lot of rules and regs we don't have here, and visa versa so a theory exam will be required. Your voltage and hertz is also different so Cable calcs will be different and we tend to do all types of work where in the US it is based around Unions and doing specific work, you need to work out what type of work suits your skills best and study it over here and go from there. Getting a job as a mate for a year or so to get your toes wet will also help, good luck fella.

In the US they have a lot of rules and regs we don't have here, and visa versa so a theory exam will be required. Your voltage and hertz is also different so Cable calcs will be different and we tend to do all types of work where in the US it is based around Unions and doing specific work, you need to work out what type of work suits your skills best and study it over here and go from there. Getting a job as a mate for a year or so to get your toes wet will also help, good luck fella.
Agree very good points there Mate, told the OP someone would be along later.

:D:D:D.another ting to bear in mind is that over here, you don't get shot for bypassing a meter.

Reply to American wiring in UK in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net