Discuss angle grinder in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lofty84

I need to get an angle grider as its so much neater when cutting out back boxes. I would really like a battery one but there about £400 so as I dont have a 110 transformer it needs to be a mains one. I guess a 4x1/2 " is what ill need over 9 ".

Ive also seen this one http://www.*************/p/dewalt-dc411n-xj-18v-4-angle-grinder-bare/42861 and its only £190 so I was wondering if it would be a good choice.

other then that most of the mains powered ones are about 60 so if the one above isnt any good it will be a dewalt. makita one depending on what others use.

also one of them says its 230V will that work over here as its 240 isnt

I've got a 4" Makita and it's bomb-proof. Just the job.

i dont rate bhattery grinders. Thyere pretty much useless for a spark, yunless you only ever install light or medium duty tray, and theyll do small sizes of trunking too. Anything heavier, and the batterys give up.

I need to get an angle grinder as its so much neater when cutting out back boxes. I would really like a battery one but there about £400 so as I don't have a 110 transformer it needs to be a mains one. I guess a 4x1/2 " is what ill need over 9 ".

Ive also seen this one http://www.*************/p/dewalt-dc411n-xj-18v-4-angle-grinder-bare/42861 and its only £190 so I was wondering if it would be a good choice.

other then that most of the mains powered ones are about 60 so if the one above isnt any good it will be a dewalt. makita one depending on what others use.

also one of them says its 230V will that work over here as its 240 isn't

We have a Makita 18v several mains / 110v 4" up to 9" grinders , even a petrol shtill saw and various box chasers , but the best by far for chopping back boxes Bosch GOP 250 CE , it produces far less dust !

Not being funny but is this a bit of a wind up , one would hope a sparks would not put that bit at the end about the voltage ?

Extension lead hooked up to a temporary RCD protected supply board?

Still able to plug in angle grinder AND boil the all important kettle for those times of thirst :D

Go for a 110V Bosch and buy the transformer. The transformer will come in useful with other bits of kit. Bosch grinders I used to issue to our production workers for fettling cast iron. Yes they destroyed them but they lasted longer than the others we tried.

This may sound silly.
If a contractor came on site with 110V gear I’d regard him as a professional. 230V and he’s a maverick chancer. We only had 110V and 433V sockets out on the plant so he was shafted from the outset.

Go for a 110V Bosch and buy the transformer. The transformer will come in useful with other bits of kit. Bosch grinders I used to issue to our production workers for fettling cast iron. Yes they destroyed them but they lasted longer than the others we tried.

This may sound silly.
If a contractor came on site with 110V gear I’d regard him as a professional. 230V and he’s a maverick chancer. We only had 110V and 433V sockets out on the plant so he was shafted from the outset.

Definitely 110v for site work otherwise the only other alternative would be a Bolster and Lump Hammer and that would be providing you have supplied a valid CSCS card and have the the appropriate PPE... Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, Hi-Vis, Gloves and Steel Toe caps :D

:thumbsup

As a site manager, if anyone try’s to step foot on a construction site with full temp supply’s, they are going to pretty stuffed for a 240v supply at 1st fix stage.
Come on let’s face it, it’s called 1st fix for a reason.
You are the person on site installing the 240v supply’s, thus the reason for site tools being 110v off a center tapped transformer, meaning the maximum fault current will be 16amp at 55v. (If you are using the correct extension leads).

If you have managed to get through a site induction without being told about the sites power arrangements, then the method statement needs revising.

I have lots of different makes of power tools from the cheap ones off evil bay to expensive ones picked up at the wholesalers. I have an 18v dewalt for tiny jobs that lives in the van, it is not suitable for long chases as the battery’s don’t last, & I have a couple of Makita's that keep going on and on and on and on.

As far as which creates the most dust..... It depends on what you are chasing out, and which disc you have in the tool. Screwfix do an amazing diamond blade that is quite cheap, it is ideal for tube, tray, Strut, sharpening chisels, etc. and absolutely fantastic at filling a room full of dust when cutting into concrete.

It is worth if you are going out buying a new or even second hand grinder, asking people what they use on brick, concrete, screed etc. Remember if you are in Scotland you will not be chasing out London’s yellow stock bricks.

As a site manager, if anyone try’s to step foot on a construction site with full temp supply’s, they are going to pretty stuffed for a 240v supply at 1st fix stage.
Come on let’s face it, it’s called 1st fix for a reason.
You are the person on site installing the 240v supply’s, thus the reason for site tools being 110v off a center tapped transformer, meaning the maximum fault current will be 16amp at 55v. (If you are using the correct extension leads).

If you have managed to get through a site induction without being told about the sites power arrangements, then the method statement needs revising.

I completely agree IF this question is SITE related and not domestic :)

I feel as a proffesional time served electrician, that it does not matter if I am working on Domestic or Site work.
Safety comes first.
If people want to be fit to work in both, go and buy a 3.3kv 110v transformer and put an RCD plug the end when you are working in a domestic property that has no RCD protection.
For those who do not know when you put 2 rcds on the same circuit you can get nuisance tripping, I right pain in the butt if you have a power tools, that has a little arching off the comutator.
So it doesn't matter what make of tool you are using, just use it safely.
At the end of the day if you are self employed and have an accident, your mortgage isnt going to pay itself.

I will get down off my site safety soap box now guys and girls. Work safely and party hard.

I feel as a proffesional time served electrician, that it does not matter if I am working on Domestic or Site work.
Safety comes first.
If people want to be fit to work in both, go and buy a 3.3kv 110v transformer and put an RCD plug the end when you are working in a domestic property that has no RCD protection.
For those who do not know when you put 2 rcds on the same circuit you can get nuisance tripping, I right pain in the butt if you have a power tools, that has a little arching off the comutator.
So it doesn't matter what make of tool you are using, just use it safely.
At the end of the day if you are self employed and have an accident, your mortgage isnt going to pay itself.

I will get down off my site safety soap box now guys and girls. Work safely and party hard.

You have a very valid point regarding the 110v and domestic/site work:thumbsup

I on the other hand when carrying out rewires always rig up a temporary supply board with RCD protection so that should the need be there I can test and energise specific circuits for safety reasons if the property is occupied. :thumbsup

I think this has gone nicely off topic now so I do apologise to the OP and will happily wined my neck in :D

Reply to angle grinder in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net