Discuss Another Part P registration Query - Sorry in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

graeme210375

I am looking to join Elecsa and am about to complete a job for them to assess.

Up til now I have been assisting on various jobs, none of which I can truly call my own.

The job will be a simple CU change with the addition of a single lighting circuit for an external security light and light in a storage cupboard.

I have registered the job with the local building control office, explaining this will be for my Part P assesment. They kindly relieved me of £261.

They advised me that they will allocate an electrician (approved by themselves) who will inspect and test my work and complete all of the relevent paperwork to submit back to building control and to give to the customer.

Surely this means that i am no longer responsible for this work, so how can Elecsa asses me on it. Effectively all I am doing is fitting a box to a wall.

I think most of us didn't pay building control on the basis that it will signed off by a Part P registered electrician just as soon as the the assessment is complete. (i.e. by you...)

Regardless, if you have already informed and paid BC then I don't think it really matters. As long as you do the work yourself and fully test it (including writing out a certificate) then I think Elecsa will be very happy to take your money ;)

Expensive mistake, but they you go.

Just test it yourself and do all your certs etc to show Elecsa. They are there to look at your procedures etc and wouldn't even clock on if you didn't notify it yourself once you have your membership.

Don't worry about it

Cheers gents. It does seem an expensive mistake :(
It was Elecsa who told me to notify building control, as they were on the understanding that BC would not charge the full fee if I told them it was for Elecsa registration.
The local BC were pretty useless and struggled to understand what I wanted to do, so I'm still not sure they have charged me correctly.
I tried to explain that with my C&G and EAL certification, I am competent but not on a scheme (as listed in part 1.22 of the Part P regulations). They ignored this as they only recognise competent (registered with a scheme) or non competent (diy-er).
If BC don't understand part P, what chance have the rest of us got?
They weren't willing to speak to elecsa, or look at the Part P document.
Hopefully their appointed electrician has a little more common sense.
I

Cheers gents. It does seem an expensive mistake :(
It was Elecsa who told me to notify building control, as they were on the understanding that BC would not charge the full fee if I told them it was for Elecsa registration.
The local BC were pretty useless and struggled to understand what I wanted to do, so I'm still not sure they have charged me correctly.
I tried to explain that with my C&G and EAL certification, I am competent but not on a scheme (as listed in part 1.22 of the Part P regulations). They ignored this as they only recognise competent (registered with a scheme) or non competent (diy-er).
If BC don't understand part P, what chance have the rest of us got?
They weren't willing to speak to elecsa, or look at the Part P document.
Hopefully their appointed electrician has a little more common sense.
I

says it all really...... :(

Good luck with it all anyway!

When the "other" sparky comes along to test, inspect and sign off, keep quiet about your "elecsa" membership etc until he's done. It will be interesting to hear how comprehensive his tests and inspection is, plus how long it takes!

Do keep us posted.

Good point. Kinda think he will go through the motions. Doubt he will get much of what I paid BC. He'll be eager to get onto the next job. I'll see how his readings compare to mine.

I must admit that when I was in a similar position, I just did the job and notified it after joining ELECSA. Too late for that now.

Of course you're still "responsible" for the work, it's your job. Just ignore the fact that someone else will be doing an additional test and inspect. What ELECSA will be assessing you on, amongst other things, will be the standard of your practical work and the test certificates that accompany it. I don't see why you can't just complete the job, including all the necessary certs as though building control were not involved. Whether any of your certs get passed to the customer is another issue.

I haven't posted this question before? Sorry I offended you.

No personal offence intended, and I'll accept that in this case it was by mistake, but I'm not imagining things:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/b...rt-p-registration-query-sorry.html#post624720

It's just that it gets really annoying when new (or not so new) members deliberately ask the same question multiple times.

Edit: Just wondering if there's a forum bug which produces double postings (obviously only in the cases where the wording is identical). If so, my apologies.

No personal offence intended, and I'll accept that in this case it was by mistake, but I'm not imagining things:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/b...rt-p-registration-query-sorry.html#post624720

It's just that it gets really annoying when new (or not so new) members deliberately ask the same question multiple times.

Edit: Just wondering if there's a forum bug which produces double postings (obviously only in the cases where the wording is identical). If so, my apologies.

I genuinely only posted this once. It may well be a forum glitch if it has appeared twice. Thank you for your response though.

Just thought I'd let you know that I PM'd this to Dan. Apparently they've been tinkering with the works and it's possible that it's caused some initial posts to be duplicated. Anyway, he's aware now.

UPDATE: BC surveyor called to say go ahead with the work and get a part p spark to test and sign off or use for Elecsa assessment, RESULT. Well not so, he hadn't been advised that I had put a BC notice is as requested, as when I asked for my £261 back, he went away and called back to advise that they would have to send their spark to check and sign off my work. No refund then :( Surely there should be clear guidelines that all BC regions should follow, why should it differ based on your postcode? Anyway I'll keep you updated on the assessment results for anyone interested :)

Further to this..... I understood that the assessor as well as putting you through the hoops in terms of knowledge, procedures and the practical review of your work also looked at previous EICs. Specifically to ensure that notifiable work had actually been notified. Quote from ELECSA "how to avoid common Part P assessment issues" - " On surveillance visits all work undertaken during the previous 12 months will be checked to ensure that work which is notifiable, has been notoified".

I'm interested because the costs of getting BC in in this area are in excess of £220 which is prohibitively expensive to load on to the small notifiable jobs resulting in working for nothing. Many customers are not in the slightest bit interested in certification which is worrying and will happily accept a none scheme EIC and schedule of test results. Not Part P compliant but the customer is happy and the job will stand electrical scrutiny. Being brutally honest i think that there are many out there just doing this and I wonder how an assessor would respond should they see a shed load of EIC that have not been notified once the scheme has been applied for????

I'll be interested to see how this pans out as well, as I will be doing the exact same thing in a few months. To me it seems to be a 'chicken or egg' situation. This position is fine if you work with or for a registered person or company. It seems alot of people tell a little white lie and not inform BC, but what if you are unsuccessful in your accessment? In terms of " On surveillance visits all work undertaken during the previous 12 months will be checked to ensure that work which is notifiable, has been notified". If you not registered, you shouldn't be doing any?
It seems this is also going to an NVQ3 level next year, where you will have to show a portfolio of evidence. The situation is clear once registered and you are receiving you annual assessment, but very 'muddy' to receive your first!

It seems this is also going to an NVQ3 level next year, where you will have to show a portfolio of evidence. The situation is clear once registered and you are receiving you annual assessment, but very 'muddy' to receive your first!

Has that not happened yet? It was supposed to be the beginning of this year, then it was put back to later in the year, and now from what you're saying it's not until next year? Do you know what the new cut off date for registration is?

Can't advise on the above. On my first Elecsa assessment I was told to notify the job when my assessment was successful.

Whilst not compliant with their 20 day rule it was allowed for the first job.

Reply to Another Part P registration Query - Sorry in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net