Currently reading:
Any Non sparks done the 2391 course ??

Discuss Any Non sparks done the 2391 course ?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thx Vince For all yor help so far ..I doubt if i will be missing days at the college far to interesting stuff.

Thx Electricalserv I have not come accross a di-log machine before but will keep my eyes open for them now

Thx Spartykus I completely agree its a great forum loadsa experts to lend a hand i try in some meagre measure to help out with my it / pat experience

thx everyone who has contributed so far

BUT

surely theres been another non spark thats done this course ?

72 van
fife

Indeed there are, because I have met them testing, ain't got a frigging clue, perhaps they are on here but are too scared to come out of the closet

Thanks for your help guys another wee question this time more relateing to doing the job in the field as i said i fancy being able to comply with the pat code of practice to do the 'portable appliances' which are fixed in place without a plug .clearly this is closer to regular pir type testing than pat .Do you think that i would be better to get more of a full sparky insurance than just a pat type policy and any ideas of which firm to ask for this bearing in mind i am on a budget .

cheers again
72 van

A "non spark" doing the 2391 sounds like something of a contradiction to me, like a 'non driver' passing an advanced driving test.

I did a week intensive last year, there was a guy on that that the jobcentre had sent, he'd done and passed the 17th previous, he lasted about 2 hours before the teacher told him he was out of his depth. It was free for him so he didn't seem that bothered. £600 quid, thats a lot of money.
You need to know the trade in my opinion to stand any chance of passing it, after all it's a sparks exam, luck doesn't come into it, it's bloody hard.

If you just want to be able to PAT test anything without a plug on it there are easier ways of going about it - you basically just need to isolate the circuit then hook up your PAT tester to terminals instead of a plugtop, with small crocodile clips or probes - you don't necessarily need to use an installation tester just because it has probe sockets.

As far as EAWR is concerned the key is 'competency' - you could probably use a simpler course to try to prove that.
I was thinking along the lines of the installers' VRQ although that might be out of your price range - by the sounds of it price is a major factor here.

Hi Novus sparkus
I like that post but i come from an It background with no electrical feild experience other than Pat work and whilst i may be sitting the driving test i reckon its gonna be a bit stevey wonder at the wheel...

:)

72-van
fife

Hi Gravid
The course i will be doing is a full day once a week for six weeks hopefully that will give me sufficient time between classes to let me study any aspects that i did not get fully the first time round in the class .The lecturer/s who did the previous course/s will be doing this one as well so hopefully i will last the course out :)

72van
fife

Hi Novus sparkus
yes i am aware i could use a breakout box and use the pat tester to do the tests after the normal fashion but i have signed up for this course now and any help you guys forward WILL be appreciated.

72-van

72-van

having a bit of time between weeks is a good idea. Was the idea whence it first appeared (to be done over a period of time not in a rush in 4 days)

Yeah still a bit unsure of your "non sparks" question. Why would a "Non sparky" be doing it. Don't follow you. Or do you just mean someone from a different vocation that is coming into the industry? In which case I expect there are loads on here

Hi Spartykus
I thought there might be a few from my background perhaps, IT , that did Pat testing alongside there IT work that might have done this course to further there own knoledge and skills .

Imho theres a HUGE differentiation between those who are 'sparks' and those who have an interest and work in electrics ,perhaps not enough people think my way .

72-van
fife

Thx Vince For all yor help so far ..I doubt if i will be missing days at the college far to interesting stuff.

Thx Electricalserv I have not come accross a di-log machine before but will keep my eyes open for them now

Thx Spartykus I completely agree its a great forum loadsa experts to lend a hand i try in some meagre measure to help out with my it / pat experience

thx everyone who has contributed so far

BUT

surely theres been another non spark thats done this course ?

72 van
fife

Hi Van
Di Log are Unitest Telaris Made by Dilog, on Ebay search all 3 names,they are well made and robust. also you can pick up Robin testers quite cheap on ebay they are very good and easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a second hand tester, make sure it is in calibration for the date of your exam. If it comes without a cert (most testers on ebay have no cert) then you need to get it calibrated. If using your own equipment in the exam you will need to prove it is in calibration, and if you can't (because you left the calibration certificate at home) then you will not be allowed to use the tester, and you will most likely be failed.

Cheers Ringer
I generally use the calibartion centre doon at stafford for repairs and calibration or theres a lad in fife who does it as well.The calcentre just done a seaward pat tester for me picked up by courier on wed and deliverd back to me by courier friday ..decent service.

Only problem i need to find a cheapy mft anyone got a spare in fife they could loan me for a few weeks ?

I have ordered from amazon the book that you guys recommended.
17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Inspection, Testing and Certification IEE Wiring Regulations, 17th edition: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books

Should get my nose into this book at the start of the week .

72-van
fife

Last edited:
I have no doubt Van that the theory side of things is quite passable with hard work as it is theory and if I studied hard enough i'm sure I could grasp most theory technical exercises.

The problem will be the practical. It is good advice for you to practice on as many installations as you can. Making sure that you can safely isolate and convey which will your hardest part, competency. The assessor for the centre will know within minutes if your competant, and the reason they do the 3 phase near the end of the testing test is so he can gauge if your just that, and so that your not going to be put into danger. I'm sure you will not have done any 3 phase work let alone testing.

Be assured you will need to convey competency as if you don't he will stop you half way through the testing before you get to the 3 phase section.

I have no doubt Van that the theory side of things is quite passable with hard work as it is theory and if I studied hard enough i'm sure I could grasp most theory technical exercises.

The problem will be the practical. It is good advice for you to practice on as many installations as you can. Making sure that you can safely isolate and convey which will your hardest part, competency. The assessor for the centre will know within minutes if your competant, and the reason they do the 3 phase near the end of the testing test is so he can gauge if your just that, and so that your not going to be put into danger. I'm sure you will not have done any 3 phase work let alone testing.

Be assured you will need to convey competency as if you don't he will stop you half way through the testing before you get to the 3 phase section.

Malcom I honestly do not think the practicle is a problem. If he gets an MFT and GN3 and tests, tests and tests at his home, it will all come second nature. IKts getting his head round the theory. You are right though if he gets his head into the books he can do it....

Malcom I honestly do not think the practicle is a problem. If he gets an MFT and GN3 and tests, tests and tests at his home, it will all come second nature. IKts getting his head round the theory. You are right though if he gets his head into the books he can do it....

Well I hope so mate, but I've seen many a white face when i 3 phase board is open, even if there is only a couple of circuits in it.

He will need to do IR on 3 phases by linking out the phases, something many a sparks I know have left links on after doing it. he will also need to do the PSCC and remember to double the results, also if I remember rightly the Ze is done at the 3 phase board.

All this knowing that there is 400 volts there. Then finally the 3 phase motor test via the socket, it is a bit of a step up to these tests after single phase, espicially for someone that as not done any testing.

Thanks Malcomssanford
I will pay especial attention to the aspects you are talking about,not that i will be paying any less attention to the rest of the course.

I really could do with someone doing this type of work to give me some on the job first hand seeing what its about ..any sparks in Fife want a t-walla, sweeper up ,extra pair of grateful hands??

72-van
fife

Well I hope so mate, but I've seen many a white face when i 3 phase board is open, even if there is only a couple of circuits in it.

He will need to do IR on 3 phases by linking out the phases, something many a sparks I know have left links on after doing it. he will also need to do the PSCC and remember to double the results, also if I remember rightly the Ze is done at the 3 phase board.

All this knowing that there is 400 volts there. Then finally the 3 phase motor test via the socket, it is a bit of a step up to these tests after single phase, espicially for someone that as not done any testing.

Fair point Malcolm, it was 3 phase when I done it aswell. Hard to prepare for that

Reply to Any Non sparks done the 2391 course ?? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back