Discuss Any reason for this? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Webby

-
Reaction score
I'm working at my friends house, summer house feed and what not, but can't understand why the suppliers have only used one side of the isolator! Why isn't the neutral in there as well?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 250
I have not seen that before. Not sure if DNO have a reg stating isolators must switch both line and neutral. I would not worry about it. Cut out fuse is only on the line only and many dont have isolators. If it was switching the neutral only, then obviously it would be a different story...

Have a look in the regs. Dependant on the earthing arrangement it may be only a requirement to isolate live conductors.
And we all know DNO's won't do above the bare minimum the can....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look in the regs. Dependant on the earthing arrangement it may be only a requirement to isolate live conductors.
And we all know DNO's won't do above the bare minimum the can....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is neutral not classed as live conductor then ?

Personally I think they should only isolate the Line conductor. Eliminates the addtional chance of a lost neutral situation due to neutral pole failing in that isolator. I am not referring to raised earth potential on PME because this is downstream of the link. It is dangerous because DIY and not very skilled persons assume if something is not working then it is dead.

Last edited:
is there another line tail coming out of the isolator hidden behind your voltage tester? maybe whoever installed the isolator wanted two feeds isolated but was too tight to put two isolators in.

Wonder if it has been done like that to allow for a second off-peak feed to be added and isolated through the same unit, might be DNO practice at some point in that area.
Also as has been said above, it looks a little tight for a four pole isolator to be fitted.

I might be missing something obvious here, but there appear to be two tails on that side of the isolator, so what is the second one of not the neutral? Is there supposed to be some significance to the tester being in the picture?
Have you got a picture of the whole cutout and meter setup? That might shed some light on this.

The meters with integral isolator which they fit around here only have single pole isolation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be missing something obvious here, but there appear to be two tails on that side of the isolator, so what is the second one of not the neutral? Is there supposed to be some significance to the tester being in the picture?
Have you got a picture of the whole cutout and meter setup? That might shed some light on this.

The meters with integral isolator which they fit around here only have single pole isolation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly - hope he comes back and lets us know cos I'm intrigued now. Daz

Reply to Any reason for this? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net