Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Any tips for my am2??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Conor mccarthy

Conor mccarthy EF Member

hi there

I have my am2 tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me?

Thanks in advance

2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Do what is asked, follow instructions and diagrams. Proper safe isolation with all checks. Ask to isolate the installation. Keep key. Confirm it's ok to IR test. Remember sleeving on black SL or grey N. They will watch closely, if for no other reason than to make sure you work safely and no incident forms are required. I'm sure others will have more :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. casperLennon

casperLennon Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Raylex electrical
    Read the instructions properly and take them in. Always remember take the key out on safe isolation. Fault finding isn’t as difficult as you make it in your own head. I spent 20 minutes on the first one and if I hadn’t over complicated it it would of took me 2 minutes. There’s loads of time. Just get it right first time

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidSpark

DavidSpark Regular EF Member

Use the reading time they give you to read over the task in hand. Don't rush it and try jump into it. Use the time you have, there is plenty of it, and there is no extra prizes for finishing in half the time.

Follow the task instructions you get given for inspection and testing as it lists the things you must do and can help jog your memory if you forget something.

When you're isolating something with a switching arrangement in it, ensure you check the thing is isolated on all the possible combinations of switching.. you never know how it's been wired!

Be smart when fault finding. Don't spend too long on one as can move on and come back to it once you've worked through the others.

The multi choice is straightforward, you get given the books with all the answers. So use the contents and index pages to find what you need, if it asks for a definition, don't guess, just look it up.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Simonslimline

Simonslimline Electrician's Arms

As above.

Read the spec carefully. Don't forget the bridge clip for the data cable in the dado. Keep the data pairs twisted all the way to the termination. No more than 10mm untwisted I was told at the AM2 prep day I was sent on.

These things will not be written in the spec.

Stay focused and use the time.

Good luck. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Whatever happens do not panic just keep a level head and think about everything you do don't give them any excuse not to pass you

• Like Like x 1
  7. Conor mccarthy

Conor mccarthy EF Member

Thank you will bear all of that in mind

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidSpark

DavidSpark Regular EF Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Conor mccarthy

Conor mccarthy EF Member

Yeah really well I think, safe isolation done, three-quarters of my way through the install and just revising some more of the testing now

• Like Like x 6
  10. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

Hope it goes well for you it can be nervous in the build up but just go in and do what you know how to do in work and it'l be fine

• Like Like x 1