Discuss Anyone know much about shower pumps? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
My own shower pump (pressure assist type) is behaving oddly and before I go ripping things apart wondered if anyone has any advice:

It turns on (so the internal flow switch is OK), runs smoothly (no obvious sounds of the motor grinding to death) but after a few mins cuts out. Give it a while and it comes back to life again. Have wondered if it might be some bizarre air-lock but there's no obvious pattern to it and besides it's gravity fed anyway so be hard to see how a bubble would have gotten in after all this time. It's been fine for at least 4-5 years at a guess.

R.

First thing would be to establish if it's cutting out on a built in thermal temp/overload. As James says capacitor(s) are high on the suspect list. Also you'd need to check by hand for any kind of mechanical binding or rotation resistance. Check the motor cooling fan is still attached and in one piece and the vents haven't got a carpet of crap covering them. Some pumps use the liquid being pumped to suppliment their cooling so an air lock could also cause thermal cycling problems.

I had the same issue with a Stuart Turnee Monsoon 3bar pump. Cut out at random intervals.
Replaced the pcb. Problem solved. Fortunately I had a spare pcb.

i never wear pumps in the shower. always steelies.

Thanks all. I'll see what's to be seen over the weekend although I have a suspiscion I'll probably find that most the above will be hidden behind welded plastic IP sealing. In the meantime I'll just mute the irate calls whilst I'm away from an Aussie girlfriend with suds in her hair.... it's character forming, yes? ?

Reply to Anyone know much about shower pumps? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net