Discuss Anyone up for a project? Car Land Rover in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m wondering if there is anyone who knows how to fit a Nissan Leaf motor and battery to a Land Rover series/ would be willing to take on the project.

Looking to do it on the cheap but not through a company. So might be something for an enthusiast but would need to obviously be road worthy.

Any ideas where to go?

Thanks

Ed

You need to start at the end and work back.

Can you get insurance on a home converted electric powered Landrover, I suspect the Insurance company will want an Engineers report to prove it's been well done and is safe and whoever carried out the work are sutiably qualified and experienced.
You'll need it as well when you notify DVLA of the change of engine type.

The only capable engineers to do a report will be one of the various companies who are active in electric conversions, like the one on T.V.,, Electric Classic Cars.
They've already done a Landrover, but they usually use Tesla motors and custom batteries.

I doubt you'll get report from any of them saying it's satisfactory, not because they want the business, but because whoever does the conversion will have overlooked something fairly simple, but important.

No one will care about the engineer. I have seen lots of them made. The only thing the insurance company will care about is the title. remanufactured? rebuild? salvaged? or any other class of vehicle that did not come from a manufacturing system.

Last one I did was a Dodge Laser. When I came time for the new plates I had to get the DOT to inspect it. A formality really. I sold the car before my insurance company called me asking about mileage

No one will care about the engineer. I have seen lots of them made. The only thing the insurance company will care about is the title. remanufactured? rebuild? salvaged? or any other class of vehicle that did not come from a manufacturing system.

Last one I did was a Dodge Laser. When I came time for the new plates I had to get the DOT to inspect it. A formality really. I sold the car before my insurance company called me asking about mileage

Things are a little different when it comes to vehicle conversions in the UK. A lot of people might choose not to notify their insurance company or the DVA, but that doesn't end well if something unexpected happens.

Reply to Anyone up for a project? Car Land Rover in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net