Discuss Apprentice Wages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

ScouseSpark

Hi,I have completed my level 2 2330 and my level 3 2365 and have a 17th edition full ipaf/pasma
I have spent two years in college and a further 2 years as a network technician in data.

I recently got employed by a company so I can do my nvq and am2 but I was told by my college that I could go in as a senior apprentice and complete my am2 and nvq in no more than a year.I was told by my employer that I would be starting on a first years apprentice wage at 4.50 an hour and I had to stay with the company for four years before they will sign me off as an electrician however my college seem to think I shouldn't be spending an additional 4 years and told me 1 year tops.

Is that a good apprentice wage

You tell me what you think

Scouse, how old are you?

with the quals you have already done I'm assuming about 20, surely you don't qualify for an apprenticeship scheme and therefore should be entitled to minimum wage at least?

or maybe I missed something

not being funny but if you get a nvq 3 and am2 from from working with the company then go for it, coz once you get it you can be put on more money and get a better payed job,

So you have 2 years at college and 2 years as a network technician and no practicable electrical exeriance yet you expect a company will let work for them so you can get your NVQ3 & AM2 then you want to be let loose on the world to be a fully qualfied electrician?

At last a company with savvy saying enoungh to this we want proper trained people doing our electrics.

I was speaking to a couple of lads in a job earlier this week, they were both 21 yrs old. They were in there second year of the SVQ3, they had achieved a NC in electrical engineering last year and were working towards a HNC this year which they should complete by June. They had both only recently been put up to minimum wage. If i'm honest, I think they are very lucky to be in the position that they are in. If you consider that you as easily be stacking shelves in Tesco....for the rest of your life!

Scouse, how old are you?

with the quals you have already done I'm assuming about 20, surely you don't qualify for an apprenticeship scheme and therefore should be entitled to minimum wage at least?

or maybe I missed something
Although I agree that the minimum wage should be adhered to regarding anyone, I am a big fan of it myself, it does not count in regard to apprenticeships because the employer deducts college fees and time away from site when they go to college for the day a week in the rate, so it can reduce the rate by a couple of quid an hour, I think it is wrong but that's the system, always has been and the fact someone is given employment this government won't consider changing it. As for the original OP, to scouse- scouse what actual courses in total have you done, everything over the last 4 years?

it does not count in regard to apprenticeships because the employer deducts college fees and time away from site when they go to college for the day a week in the rate

Not true. The employer is required to pay the Apprentice for being at the tech and the college fees are covered by a training grant (at least that's the way it used to be).

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £2.68 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training.

Croney - Anyone can apply for an apprenticeship, there is no upper age limit. Employers who will not consider those over the age of 19 because of their age are actually breaking the law in accordance with The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 but not many people know this and just think an apprenticeship is only for school leavers, which is a shame as their are many 'mature' people out there who would love to retrain in the profession they want.

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £2.68 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training.

Croney - Anyone can apply for an apprenticeship, there is no upper age limit. Employers who will not consider those over the age of 19 because of their age are actually breaking the law in accordance with The
Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 but not many people know this and just think an apprenticeship is only for school leavers, which is a shame as their are many 'mature' people out there who would love to retrain in the profession they want.

No good quoting something that has now been replaced by te Equality Act 2010

No good quoting something that has now been replaced by te Equality Act 2010

True but the Equality Act 2010 has the same protective characteristics of The Employment Quality Regulations 2006. I'm pointing out that apprenticeship age discrimination was covered under this originally in 2006, so its nothing new, yet older apprentice applicants are continually discriminated against.

Hi,I have completed my level 2 2330 and my level 3 2365 and have a 17th edition full ipaf/pasma
I have spent two years in college and a further 2 years as a network technician in data.

I recently got employed by a company so I can do my nvq and am2 but I was told by my college that I could go in as a senior apprentice and complete my am2 and nvq in no more than a year.I was told by my employer that I would be starting on a first years apprentice wage at 4.50 an hour and I had to stay with the company for four years before they will sign me off as an electrician however my college seem to think I shouldn't be spending an additional 4 years and told me 1 year tops.

Is that a good apprentice wage

You tell me what you think
Hi mate I was in exactly the same boat as you pal technically you could do it in a year but what you learn at college and on site is completely different college just fill your head with magic then you get on site and it's surprising how little you know lol. I remember my first day well thinking I knew it all boy was I wrong lol.

its all ok everyone saying "apprenticeship is best , accept the crap pay , blah blah blah"

but its a very poor deal for the OP to be honest.

After spending over 2 years to get to where he is , having an employer insist he starts all over again is simply not in his best interests.
and with the quals & work experience he has , i wouldnt work for £4.50 either.

personally i'd go self employed as an electrical labourer with this company if possible just to get the site skills and experience needed to complete the nvq as there no point going back to college again.
and you can complete your nvq in under 12 months and start earning better money

In fact i'd apply for a JIB graded card now , you wont get gold , probably senior trainee or even improver , but at least it will open the door for commercial jobs.

youve got this far on your own on the path to becoming an electrician and im not sure you need 4 years with this company to complete the journey.

good luck anyway

....I was told by my employer that I would be starting on a first years apprentice wage at 4.50 an hour and I had to stay with the company for four years before they will sign me off as an electrician
4.50 an hour is unbelievable. It's no wonder everyone is going the fast track course route into the industry.

Reply to Apprentice Wages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net