Discuss Arlec "Do not use Megger" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DyFamCont

Trainee
Reaction score
I've just been to a job to replace a burned out switch where the customer supplied his own Arlec dimmer switch. During a dull moment, I read the Notes for the installer which included: "Do not use a "megger" to test the circuit in which the light dimmer is connected". Has anyone come across this before? It seems very strange to specify a restriction by brand and not function.

Does that mean I'm good to shove 1000v through it, so long as I use a Kewtech? /s

I was also surprised at how poorly made this thing was. Apparently it wasn't an Amazon special!

I've seen it plenty of times on older equipment.

I think the use of 'megger' to refer to insulation resistance testing is becoming less common than it used to be.
There was a time when the 'megger' was one model of tester from a manufacturer and was the most common (if not the only one commonly available to the average electrician) so it made more sense as a term years ago.

Reply to Arlec "Do not use Megger" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Doing one more of the flood of EICR today on a rented property before a tenant change, but ran into a slightly interesting case so would...
Replies
Views
I've moved house and have had a full re-wire and new kitchen fitted in Nov 2020, incl a new electric oven and gas hob. The oven is a Bosch...
Replies
Views
Thought this might be of interest and use to anyone looking to undertake the various short training courses. So here is my recent experience -...
Replies
Views
E
If you want to save on your monthly electric bill and reduce your greenhouse gas emissions at the same time, you might buy a new, energy-efficient...
Replies
Views
Electricity News --
E
J
THIS IS AN ACTUAL CUSTOMER REVIEW FROM A MAN ON AMAZON.CO.UK AFTER USING VEET HAIR REMOVAL CREAM FOR MEN. After having been told my danglies...
Replies
Views
Jonesy83
J

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock