Discuss Assessment time! Please check my job! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Excuse how long winded this is but want peoples opinion: :angel_smile::frown2:

Doing a basic shed install but would just like people to check my calculations and thinking as I am using it as an assessment piece with Elecsa.

House has an old TNS supply where the supply head has been upgraded to TNC-S (for whatever reason) and the TNS earthing has been bonded to TNC-S earth. I am assuming that rules following TNC-S supply would apply in this case.
The run to the shed is approx 12m however the shed itself is only about 3m from the building. The ground between the two is mainly flagged although there is a concrete 'apron' at the side of the shed. There is no soil, grass or whatever between the house and the shed. The shed is brick built with no extraneous conductive parts. Am I safe to export the earth from the house?

The dist board in the house is an old wylex split unit with type 2 mcbs. The house has an upstairs and downstairs ring for the sockets fed from the RCD side of the board. Everything else is run from the unprotected side.

My intention is to run a 30A Type2 MCB from the unprotected side, 6mm T&E through the back of the consumer unit, out the wall into an adaptable box. Gland my 4mm 3 core SWA (extra core to use to export earth just to be safe in case armour/gland joint deteriorates over time) into that buried under the flags (at the appropriate depth of course) over to the shed. Up the wall and into an adaptable box again.

At this point is it necessary to convert back into 6mm T&E or can I leave the SWA 'tails' long enough to go through the wall into a shed CU?
Gutted that 2.5mm SWA is rated at 29A buried direct, just less than the 30A I need to be within lb<ln<lz.

In the shed itself I'm just running a shed/garage CU with RCD main switch. Then going to have 6A circuit for lights supplying one light fitting in the shed itself and a security light to be fitted to the outside of the shed. Then going to have a 16A radial feeding one double socket outlet. This is just going to be used to power a tumble dryer and then a spare socket.
The lighting circuit will be 1mm T&E and the radial socket will be 2.5mm T&E. Everything inside the shed will be surface mounted within trunking.

My calcs for those who haven't fallen asleep yet:

lb = 16+6 = 22A
ln = 30A Type 2 (in house)
lz = 37A (4mm SWA buried direct)

Volt Drop =

(22*11*12)/1000 = 2.904V to Shed CU
(6*44*8)/1000 = 2.112V Lighting Circuit from Shed CU
(16*18*2)/1000 = 0.576V Socket Circuit from Shed CU

Total Drop Lights = (5.016/230)*100 = 2.18%
Total Drop Sockets = (3.48/230)*100 = 1.51%

Thanks in advance and apologies for boring you all to death with something thats really simple just worried come assessment time!

Where is the RCD for your shed?
Can you not take the SWA directly into the shed and gland it into the Cu? or gland the SWA into a small adaptable box if the CU is plastic, take the SWA tails directly into the CU. Sorry if this sounds complicated, calcs look sound, but not got any books with me at present.

I knew it was too long winded!!!

I did mention that the shed CU was to have its own RCD main switch. I'm not sure of how the 'circuits divided to avoid danger & inconvenience' applies here, its just a shed. There were no lights to begin with so even if an earth fault on the dryer trips the RCD killing the lights its not the end of the world is it?

The shed CU in question is plastic and my question was can I gland the cable in an adaptable on the outside and leave the SWA 'tails' long enough to go through into the CU on the other side?

I did mention that the shed CU was to have its own RCD main switch. I'm not sure of how the 'circuits divided to avoid danger & inconvenience' applies here, its just a shed. There were no lights to begin with so even if an earth fault on the dryer trips the RCD killing the lights its not the end of the world is it?

The shed CU in question is plastic and my question was can I gland the cable in an adaptable on the outside and leave the SWA 'tails' long enough to go through into the CU on the other side?

Personally I would gland the SWA into an adaptable box inside the shed, gets rid of any problems with water ingress, and as you said it's only a shed

The shed CU in question is plastic and my question was can I gland the cable in an adaptable on the outside and leave the SWA 'tails' long enough to go through into the CU on the other side?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's done all the time on supplies to metal containers.

Assessors must get as sick and tired of seeing sheds as I do reading about them.

Ray, it’s an assessment of your design and your work. NOT the design of a random committee of guys on the internet.

Someone, please tell me an assessment must cover more than three circuits.

Assessors must get as sick and tired of seeing sheds as I do reading about them.

Ray, it’s an assessment of your design and your work. NOT the design of a random committee of guys on the internet.

I thought you knew better than this Tony, it's not an assessment of anything to do with electricity!
It's an assessment of how much money they can con out of the bloke if they give him a fancy title and let him believe he is an electrician.

They didnt when I had mine back in 2012. 40 minutes spent on site doing a RCD and Zs test on a socket circuit.

Although I must have done them well as I got a grade A for plugging my tester into a socket, selecting the correct tedt and pressing the test button lol.

I thought you knew better than this Tony, it's not an assessment of anything to do with electricity!
It's an assessment of how much money they can con out of the bloke if they give him a fancy title and let him believe he is an electrician.

They didnt when I had mine back in 2012. 40 minutes spent on site doing a RCD and Zs test on a socket circuit.

Although I must have done them well as I got a grade A for plugging my tester into a socket, selecting the correct tedt and pressing the test button lol.

I suppose I should have known better than think proving competence came in to it.

My first one consisted of showing them the shower circuit in my own house, he looked at the EIC, then asked me to do a zs on it, asked a couple of questions regarding the cable route and one about safe isolation. Didn't even bother going to see the other job, which was a ruddy great new build, complete with swimming pool, solar array and sauna and the whole reason for getting registered in the first place. Not sure if they are any harder on the guys without the 'proper' qualifications tho.

Take it back and buy a metal one!

Always the best idea for a CU on the end of a bit of SWA!

Reply to Assessment time! Please check my job! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net