Discuss Average Kwh usage per year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is there anywhere I can find out what the average domestic dwelling uses in Kwh per year?

Any ideas anyone?

"Hello D80",

On the back of My Electricity Bill / Statement there is a figure stating this - from Memory I think that it is 3,300 Kw Hours per Year - I cannot check this at the moment because where I keep My previous Bills is not accessible because there is stuff stored in the room temporarily.

I would guess that this figure would also be on your Electricity Bill as I think it is a requirement from the Energy Companies `Governing Body` [OFGEM ?].

I would say however that I think this figure is nonsense ! - I use more than that in the 2 `Winter Quarters` - September to December and December to March and I don`t have a particularly large Home - or particularly high Electricity usage.

For example - I have no Children / Teenagers at Home - so there is not a Washing Machine being used 3 or 4 times per week - or Children / Teenagers almost permanently `Online` / playing Computer Games / watching TV`s in their rooms etc.

I would think that I should have a lower than average Electricity Usage - certainly when compared with a Family Home where there are children - even if it was only because of what I described above - but obviously there would be even more Usage from a Family doing other things.

EDIT: I have found this online from OFGEM - the figure above is stated - as it states on the Electicity Bill it is arrived at by calculating the Usage of average Electricity Bills :

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Media/FactSheets/Documents1/domestic energy consump fig FS.pdf

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
View attachment 14683The UK average electricity consumption is 1120 kwh for 3 months (December, January & February 2011) this would give an annual consumption of 4,480 kWh a bill of £582 assuming 13p / kWh.

"Hello Richard Burns",

Would it be correct to just multiply a Winter Quarter Electricity Consumption by 4 to reach the Consumption for an `Year Average` ?

Surely this particular Quarter which is when probably the most Electricity is used would be at least quite a lot higher consumption than the Spring and Summer Quarters ?

I am NOT trying to be `Funny` or pedantic here in any way - but My Winter Quarters use much more Electricity than those Spring and Summer Quarters.

However I do think that the figure of 4,480 KW Hours is far more realistic than the figure of 3,300 KW Hours quoted on EDF Bills and in the OFGEM PDF / Leaflet.

I am guessing that I use something like 6,200 KW Hours per Year and as far as I am concerned I don`t waste energy / electric.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to Average Kwh usage per year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net