Discuss Avoiding EICR cowboys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I need an EICR done on a house I rent out in Reading, 4-bed detached built in early 1980s. But I'm a bit nervous about how to avoid cowboys...

Last EICR was in March 2019 following which esteemed forum member Wilko put in a new DB, did various fault finding, earth upgrades and everything else. But 5 years is up and I believe he has retired.

Any advice and recommendations? How much should it cost for a proper job?

Thanks

Hi, I need an EICR done on a house I rent out in Reading, 4-bed detached built in early 1980s. But I'm a bit nervous about how to avoid cowboys...

Last EICR was in March 2019 following which esteemed forum member Wilko put in a new DB, did various fault finding, earth upgrades and everything else. But 5 years is up and I believe he has retired.

Any advice and recommendations? How much should it cost for a proper job?

Thanks
Doesn't EICR now need to be done every time a new tenant moves in too?

Proper job you're looking at about £250 + depending on size and amount of sockets.

Anyone in that area of the country charging less than about £150-200 isn't gonna do it properly.

Fair point @Markyd but given the lack of quality of many rental agents, I'd tend to avoid their recommendations as to electricians. They often have "tame" sparks who don't charge too much, give the agent a percentage, and do the least possible work to issue a certificate.
Personal recommendation from friends and relatives might be better, or someone on this forum!

sure there's 1 or more forum members in that area; be able to oblige.

If you use an agency to rent out the property they should have electricians on their books that they use
Jesus ..Most agents in North London tend to use the "cheapest " contractors they can find. They seem to all share so much in common. Total lack of regard for the laws of the land. I am attending The property tomorrow of the lady who Ive mentioned before and the landlord and management agency forgetting to get a EICR done on time and then doing a 20 min test /Burnt out sockets .That was fully filled in with no notifications and sent to NEICIC the day before they did the Test . And they all know what was going on. Trouble is , I popped my head up and now there is a Environmental health Enforcement officer doing a visit tomorrow and from all the pics and evidence (paper trails are such good fun !!) He might be in the mood for a Prosecution . Its a total disaster, nothing is correctly policed in this country

What a nice surprise that a landlord is genuinely concerned with Electrical safety and wants the job done correctly.
I charge £250 and take 3 - 4 hours for a standard 3 bed semi. London prices I'm sure will be more for a decent electrician.
I do hope you find someone on this site as you are far more likely to be getting the job done properly.
Maybe send @Wilko a message to see if you can persuade him out of retirement for a few hours, although I don't see his name popping up here.

The guidance is General Domestic is every 10 years or occupancy change . Domestic rented are every 5 years, that's where you maybe getting confused.
Change of tenant is an occupancy change, so in my interpretation a new EICR is needed, who knows what the previous tenant has done to the installation.

Change of tenant is an occupancy change, so in my interpretation a new EICR is needed, who knows what the previous tenant has done to the installation.

Not practical to do it on change of tenant to be honest. Might change in 6 months. Quick inspection rather than a full EICR. My opinion only obviously. I've been wrong before 😀

What the regulations say:​

Private landlords must ensure every electrical installation in their residential premises is inspected and tested at intervals of no more than 5 years by a qualified and competent person.
  • supply a copy of the most recent report to any new tenant of the specified tenancy to which the report relates before that tenant occupies those premises; and any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request in writing for it from that prospective tenant

Reply to Avoiding EICR cowboys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net