Discuss Awkward job coming up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Im in a bit of a pickle with this one.

Ive mentioned a couple times on the forum about an ongoing debt that should be getting sorted this month.
The original job was invoiced to two individuals of a couple, for a private job in their house. As it wasnt paid, I took legal steps and won the case. My solicitor advised to have her wages arrested, to get the money, as she was employed, over his self employment. This wages arrestment should start this month. 4 years later.

Small town area.... we know people they know. It gets on our wick when they're posting holiday snaps online.

The other day, i was fitting a cooker for one of my regular customers who has holiday cottages, and we were chatting about upcoming jobs.
Shes getting a new kitchen.. would like me to do the electrics... I asked who was fitting... either the kitchens own fitters or a local joiner... She gave the name of Mr non-payer from above.

Now, ive not said anything... and im not planning to. Im guessing he has possibly forgotten, as its his partner thats been getting the court letters. But, if anyones read the other times ive mentioned this... they must have been in the habit of not paying, as there was other people waiting on her arrested wages.

Im thinking of a key along his van??

No.. im not like that at all... but i know im going to have to keep my mouth shut.

There are people who simply won't pay their bills. Some are otherwise very nice people, but that's just how they're wired.

As for keeping your mouth shut? I wouldn't raise the subject, but nor would I shy away from it should it be raised. You've done nothing wrong and simply took the necessary steps to secure an outstanding debt. I doubt their non-payment was personal (as they're in the habit of not paying bills) and I'd consider the debt recovery to be nothing more than a business matter.

He could make life hell for you .Unless you think the job is worth it .I would be polite and decline to be part of a works program than involves him

I would just blow him up to the customer as it may affect the quality of the job and his attendance onsite if he is up to his eyeballs in debt, wouldn't put it past someone like this to screw as much money as possible out of the job and leave the customer swinging

As for the debtors the next step may be to look at getting the baliffs in or look at bankrupcy proceedings

Yes from a wall cupboard to a coffin.
Buried under the floor boards, I'm sure there was a cupboard on that wall.
Ha ha yeah…..was in a site years ago where a mouthy labourer kept baiting a friend of mine, he waited a while and then convinced him he needed him to go under the floor for something or other and then proceeded to nail him under there for about 6 hours 😂

This is a really tricky one, but I'd opt to tell the new customer about the position. After all, you will have a court decree you can show her, and as it's technically public knowledge, you are just pointing out a fact...that there is a debt owed. Mr No-Pay may not be happy, but he can't deny it. New customer may be careful about how much she pays up-front. What's the worst that can happen?
OK, your wages arrestment may finally attach this month...that's good, but you have waited a long time for your money, so any ploy that keeps you on top is a good one.
Maybe he bad-mouths you locally? I think you have the proof of his debt...locals won't want to deal with him...he may offer to pay you from the kitchen job if you stay quiet...get customer to delay payment and tell him why. It's tricky, but he OWES YOU MONEY...you need to be paid!
You could try to get an arrestment in the new customer's hands, for money she owes him...but you have to be careful to arrest when she has an invoice she hasn't yet paid...she needs to actually owe him money, so if she pays in advance without an invoice, you can't touch that cash.
Whatever, don't back off, just state the facts and grab any advantage you can. You may appear to be MR Nasty, but actually your local community will respect your integrity.

I don't think I would take the job. I might advise the customer of the situation with the contractor doing the kitchen. I do not imagine I could work co-operatively with the person. It may result in problems on the job. It is really a conflict of interests.

I don't think I would take the job. I might advise the customer of the situation with the contractor doing the kitchen. I do not imagine I could work co-operatively with the person. It may result in problems on the job. It is really a conflict of interests.
I get that, however I would feel like I was failing myself if I had to start turning work down because some A hole that wouldn’t pay me was working the same job.

Well fair enough I see your viewpoint. Perhaps it may be wise to at least apprise the customer of the situation and let them have the first choice on that. They may well pick up the lack of co-operation between you and you could lose a customer if they are not forewarned???? They may choose another kitchen fitter for all we know!

Interesting responses.

Knee jerk reaction was to inform the customer… but discussing with my wife, we thought I should be the bigger man and just do the job. I don’t have to be friendly with him.

The problem I see is that if I tell the customer, can he then accuse me of telling tales/ losing him work/ somehow blocking the wages arrestment??

I don’t know how he can still be self employed. His last company folded as he didn’t send in accounts etc, (was an ltd) and now he’s trading under a different name.

Reply to Awkward job coming up in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net