Discuss Axiom SPD consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing amazing and getting through this crazy time We’re living through.
So I want to see if I’m missing something here, axiom now have a 10 way dual RCD consumer unit With integral type 2SPD at a cost of £120.

They also have a 12 way dual RCD high res consumer unit with 2 spare ways at a cost of £57 and a Seperate type2 SPD for £ 26, , bringing the total cost if I add the seperate SPD into the consumer unit spare ways with dedicated MCB of £83.

am I missing something here or is it a far cheaper solution to buy the seperate items and combine ?

customer wants new consumer unit to be axiom as that’s the brand they have at another property ( job is a consumer unit upgrade ) .

excuse me if this looks like a blond question ( no offence blonds ). But don’t want to spend extra cash if the exact same can be achieved at a lower cost.

See links below for all the items

thanks in advamce

Check the SPD in detail, it might need an extra MCB for current limiting (some are rated for supply fuse to 160A so don't need extra protection as DNO fuse is acceptable last-resort protection)

I suspect it is more the "17th" are being sold off cheaper to clear stock.

Yes the one minus SPD is cheaper even if you buy the SPD + 32amp mcb extra.

However the all inc. one is out of stock in places I checked so you may have to buy the cheaper option.

Check the SPD in detail, it might need an extra MCB for current limiting (some are rated for supply fuse to 160A so don't need extra protection as DNO fuse is acceptable last-resort protection)

I suspect it is more the "17th" are being sold off cheaper to clear stock.
That’s great , and Defibatelly makes sense that their being sold of cheaper To clear stock , looks like it requires a 32amp mcb after researching from axiom. . Crazy how it’s cheaper to buy seperate aswell , happy days
[automerge]1587231371[/automerge]
Yes the one minus SPD is cheaper even if you buy the SPD + 32amp mcb extra.

However the all inc. one is out of stock in places I checked so you may have to buy the cheaper option.
Hadn’t spotted they were out of stock , looks like the cheaper build together option may be the best option regardless . Thanks for checking snow head ?

Hi - also the cheap one has 63A RCDs, the other has 80A rated units.
Will work perfectly for what it’s needed for , but good spot on that .

thinking of connecting the Mcb to protect the SPD with a short piece of Busbar directing off the main switch and then feeding the SPD with a small piece of 6mm? Any suggestions or input?

Either approach should do. Within reason it is more cable length (i.e. inductance) that is more important to keep low than resistance, but even then if it is less than 25cm or so then no need to worry.

Axiom are an absolute last resort along with another couple of brands for me. Really poor quality.
I have used some axiom units, originally for some garage and shed jobs as they were on a really good promo with a £10 voucher via post.
Have to say I actually quite liked them, no worse than any of the suppliers own brands and on the plus side the axiom boards usually have round knockouts and not the annoying rectangle ones, so great for glands and conduit etc..
We all have a favourite brand or type of board but the thing to remember is an awful lot of these boards and especially the mcbs, rcds etc are made by just a handful of companies and are just rebadged on the front. internally they are all the same, only difference being the price.

Hi guys.
I bought a pre-populated 10 way Axiom fuse board and am now told I need surge protection. I have purchased an Axiom surge protector with a little green plug on the top and a 32 amp circuit breaker. But no wiring diagram is included. Any help gratefully recieved. Garry

Hi guys.
I bought a pre-populated 10 way Axiom fuse board and am now told I need surge protection. I have purchased an Axiom surge protector with a little green plug on the top and a 32 amp circuit breaker. But no wiring diagram is included. Any help gratefully recieved. Garry

Did you get anywhere with this?

I have an a pre-populated 10 way Axiom fuse board that needs surge protection.
Got space for 1 module so it would be good to use this SPD which states it does not need a MCB.

Axiom make an SPD that does not need a separate MCB here:
I don't remember if it comes with the wires, but basically some 6mm for connection to Earth and Neutral is all you need.

The catch is this one comes directly off the busbar just like a MCB/RCBO - fine for main-switch and RCBO boards, but not so convenient for the older dual RCD style.

Reply to Axiom SPD consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net