Discuss Bad practice?.......or actually a good idea? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skyesparky

Carried out an eicr today on a 4 bed house. The owner, a builder, is selling and had converted attic a few years ago but never got it signed off by BC. Everything was fine apart from a couple of Code 3's as house was wired to 16th. The only thing i did find of any interest was the smoke detectors. At the DB i found a note saying "Smoke detector joint box in comb space adj to door". I thought maybe an extra detector had been added but when i looked all 8 detectors were wired back to JB. Each cable was labelled. R1R2 . IR and ZS ok so it obviously complies with regs.

I cant think why the previous sparky done this other than making terminating at detectors easier.

I actually thought about using the dreaded jb today, and actually thought about putting a label back at board for the location of said jb if I was to do it.....then decided to do it the right way rather than the easy way

If I'm adding a socket and can only spur off with a JB I usually write in the back box with a sharpie where I've put the JB, takes 2 secs and saves work and damage at a later date, should be never! Though ;)

yeah. live from DB connected to perm lives, neutrals all connected together and all switch wires connected together. Tested each one and they all set of each other so no probs with interconnections.

Reply to Bad practice?.......or actually a good idea? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Doing work in a house the other day, and noticed they didn't have any smoke detectors... (well, one.. and it was a small 9v thing) So ive sent in...
Replies
Views
Hi all Recently we've been having a few issues with smoke and heat detectors.. been fitting them for years and years now mostly without any...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum! Quick background on me: I have a degree in electrical engineering and spent many years working with qualified...
Replies
Views
Not come across this before, so would like some help, please. I went to install smokes and heat alarm (to new Scottish regs) in a fairly modern...
Replies
Views
Just to highlight how wicked people can be. This set up was bad enough. House is just bought from deceased estate. Typical '30s house. See the old...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock