Discuss Bag or box??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickeyspark

It's one of those 'yeh but no but' issues, bag or box?
I have 2 bags, CK Magma which I have all my terminating stuff in, screw drivers, Crimpers, side cutters etc, but it also carries few spanners, junior hack saw & bahco adjustables.
My other bag is a Stanley Fatmax, for heavier stuff for containment works, you get the idea.
CK Magma has had its day, Stanley Fatmax with 2 flaps each side is ok but not perfect.
Recently changing jobs, some guys have big toolboxes with wheels (decent ones not B&Q) that carry all, plus the odd drill. Like the idea you can cut stuff on them, are lockable and you can stand on them (which we all do and designed for) let alone wheel them about.
Downside, is needing a fork lift to get them in the back of your car or van!!
In one sense like the idea of my 2 bag system, but there always something you need in the other bag, which invariably is in the car, or across the site. All of my work is Industrial so you get the gist of the scenario. Like the Veto pro bag, but to expensive and when I tried lifting a mates, near pulled my arm out of my shoulder!! Like the pro boxes, but wish they had proper pump up tyres.
Need security to, don't like people borrowing my tools, especially at break times grrr.
Any pointers chaps and chapesses, to guide me through this dilemma which we all suffer from time to time, would be grateful.

If you want separate boxes then I highly recommend the Stanley Fatmax structural foam weatherproof boxes. I have a 23" version that I used for a general box for about 7 years that now houses my test gear, and a 28" one that houses my battery gear.

https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/147623

They are pretty tough being made from foam that has an amount of bounce to it under impact, so they don't crack easily (I still managed to crack my small box though after 5 years of using it as a step up. Still usable though)
The metal clasps are tough too and lockable. The whole box is splash proof which is useful for outdoor working. It also doubles as a tea break seat.

If you are looking for stackable boxes on a trolley, I have heard good things about the DeWalt and Makita stackable systems.

Bag wise, I have just got a Facom BS.T20 probag I would recommend if you are looking to replace your CK magma but not get into Veto money.

i have a stanley rolling toolbox system the metal version.the thing splits down so you can load it in the van easily then restack as you're loading it.

Veto pro pac tech xl for me. I love it, even if it does weigh a ton. Toying with the idea of getting another bag to ease the weight issue. I think A dewalt tough system box would be my choice of a box eventually when my Bosch L-box' are knackered. That's what I keep my power tools in.

big stuff stays in the trolley (big drill, grinder, multicutter etc). small stuff (drivers, battery drill, pliers etc) in a small light tool bag easy to carry around.

334629a0f84ecc3d43e5b9f885c18314.jpg
62e540f4e37349b3f90cf46a07c07463.jpg

Gave my fatmax bag a clean out as one should frequently and decided to do the photo of the contents. I tend to change the contents depending on the job we intend to do but that will usually be whether the lump hammer goes in or not. My mentor obviously has the van with accessories but I find, tool wise, I'm pretty much independent of him. When I procure a new tool I'll use it for our jobs instead of his to ensure its up to the job. Example of this is using my beloved Henry with my newly acquired Titan wall chaser (£12.50 secondhand) - an absolute success and an extra tool tested for when I ever, if I ever go it alone.
I like the Fatmax bag as it's very strong but I understand it's limitations.
Thanks for the forum content, you guys, it truly is invaluable and it's very much a family with many dads and brothers (you know which one you are!)
Regards Rob
Oh and Mothers and sisters (you know who you are!) phew [emoji27]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree, XL is perfect for both site and domestic scenarios. As I mentioned the bag pack veto was better on site when I use to talk 10 minutes to work area.

I don't think you can get a better bag, you pay for this privilege but mines 2yrs old and still in new condition minus the bodywork marks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I agree, XL is perfect for both site and domestic scenarios. As I mentioned the bag pack veto was better on site when I use to talk 10 minutes to work area.

I don't think you can get a better bag, you pay for this privilege but mines 2yrs old and still in new condition minus the bodywork marks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

id love the bag pack I just don't want to part with £230

Reply to Bag or box??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net