Discuss basic electricians tool kit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
yo, just wondering if have been seeing any real bargins on ebay , as im helping my brothers friend rewire a house in 2 weeks, loads there ... just wondering if to stay away from the cheap stuff.. or what your prefrences were . have most of the sets but nothing matches... money is tight when comes to tools thanks, even list the basic things i need

saw a set of insulated drivers in lidl. ÂŁ5.99. not top quality, but would do till you find your feet. the sheds have some decent tools as well. only thing you really need qualitywhen starting out is side cutters. CK/Knipex around ÂŁ15. and an approved voltage tester is a must.

Last edited:
If you are chopping walls a good quality scutch chisel is a must and a lump hammer, i can recommend CK. A SDS plus drill and chisel set will serve you well, if you only plan one rewire and a bit of diy etc, then about ÂŁ45 quids worth will do. A set of sds plus drill bits, a few auger bits for going through wood joists, a floorboard lifter. You should get all you need for about ÂŁ100 or so, but as with all tools you get what you pay for, so dont expect them to last for years if you abuse DIY kit in the way we abuse good quality gear.

Cheers...Howard

i would go for this little tool set from screwfix cant link it for some reson but its basicly a little packet of insulated tools from 3 of each screwdriver diffrent sizes and some snipps,pliers and long nose pliers

Last edited:
CPC do a great little kit for ÂŁ99.00 , but i would recomend a decent pair of snips Barco are great spring loaded also available from CPC at ÂŁ14.00

All the advice above is great, loads of tips. Another thing is build yourself up over time, you don't have to get all the best tools at once. I believe you are on your level 2 atm so just get what you can afford to do your workshop stuff and with time buy the snipex side cutters one month and a set if irazola screw drivers the next month, it will soon build up into a good tool kit. Ps always look out for bargains, its a good time off year for that.

Most of these tools mentioned are for 2nd fix, you Will need access under floor boards, chasing out, perhaps making good, a multimeter, good selection of screws and plugs etc there really can be a lot of things used or not many tools its down to you and how you like to tackle each task.

You will know once you have done it what you could use, if you are just helping out, you will more than likely end up using some of his tools, or at least see what you should have. But as long as you come armed with what you have and a willingness to help you will be fine.

thanks saw 1000v vde set on ebay , 9 piece also there is fluke 1507 for ÂŁ204 nearly 200 cheaper than other stockists... what you think of the fluke 1507..?
saw a set of insulated drivers in lidl. ÂŁ5.99. not top quality, but would do till you find your feet. the sheds have some decent tools as well. only thing you really need qualitywhen starting out is side cutters. CK/Knipex around ÂŁ15. and an approved voltage tester is a must.

dont think you would need a tester yet if your just helping out, unless your specificly there to test
it really depends on what the job is to what tools you would need, a hacksaw would be usefull for trunking of a fish if its metal conduit, but if your frinds an electrician and your just helping i would relly on him for most of the tools you will need.

I recomend screw fix for a basic pack of electricians tools snips pliers screwdrivers but recomend you also buy a bunch of crap screwdrivers pliers etc from poundland as these are great for wacking with hamers and such use without damaging your good tools.
Screw fix makita cordless drill is effective and cheap (bosh if you've got a spare 300 quid)
240v sds drill or 110v with 240 v transformer

Reply to basic electricians tool kit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net