Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RT1187

DIY
Reaction score
Need to replace an old Vent-Axia extractor fan as the pull chord no longer works.

I bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CBX254I?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I went for this one as it only required a Live and Neutral feed. I installed it but nothing happens when I switch the electricity back on.

I noticed there is a Vent-Axia control box of some sort in one of the landing cupboards, could this be the reason the new one isn't receiving power? There is also what I assume is a pull chord for the shower on the opposite side of the wall from this, which I have never touched and is always On.

Is it something to do with the new fan having a permanent live rather that a switched live?

I've attached pics of the new fan (upside down I know, had to for the wire), old fan, in cupboard control box of some kind and in bathroom switch.

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.46.50.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.46.50 (1).jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 30
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.46.50 (2).jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 11.46.50 (3).jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 28
Your old fan was 12v which is what the controller is for, it converts 230 to 12v. Your new fan is 230v.

IPX4 230v extractors are pemitted in zones 1 and 2 .
Only in the highly unlikely event of the OPs fan being installed in zone 0 or there being no additional protection to the circuit would it need to stay 12v

Last edited by a moderator:
IPX4 230v extractors are pemitted in zones 1 and 2 .
Only in the highly unlikely event of the OPs fan being installed in zone 0 or there being no additional protection to the circuit would it need to stay 12v
I never said they weren't allowed given that the OP is DIY I was just pointing out that the simple fix of removing the transformer may not be an option without the OP posting further information on the existing electrical installation, taken the wrong way some advice could be dangerous

Thanks all. From what I can see on Google the fan is installed in Zone 2.

Should I just get a 12V fan for ease or look into removing the transformer? Is that even something I can do myself?

I do have an electrician friend but he is always very busy so don't like to bother him too much.

A 12v fan would probably be the easiest solution
Removing the transformer could also be possible but would ideally need professional advice as to whether the existing installation would allow safe and compliant use of the 230v fan

The old fan had a humidity sensor and a pull chord built in, I'm guessing if I just get a standard fan it will always be on unless I turn it off at the switch on the ceiling?

That's not really a problem for me. The humidity sensor models seem to be a lot more expensive.

The old fan had a humidity sensor and a pull chord built in, I'm guessing if I just get a standard fan it will always be on unless I turn it off at the switch on the ceiling?

That's not really a problem for me. The humidity sensor models seem to be a lot more expensive.

Isn't the pull cord on the ceiling your shower isolator? If so, does it also control your fan? If so then I wonder if it is fused down anywhere?

Isn't the pull cord on the ceiling your shower isolator? If so, does it also control your fan? If so then I wonder if it is fused down anywhere?

Yea the one on the ceiling is the isolator, I have never turned it off. But also the old fan had a built in chord which I would switch on when I hop in the shower to start expelling straight away. It would also come on by itself if it detected any humidity.

I'm guessing if I get a fan with no switch on the unit then it will just always run unless I turn it off at the isolator?

Yea the one on the ceiling is the isolator, I have never turned it off. But also the old fan had a built in chord which I would switch on when I hop in the shower to start expelling straight away. It would also come on by itself if it detected any humidity.

I'm guessing if I get a fan with no switch on the unit then it will just always run unless I turn it off at the isolator?

It's unlikely that the pull cord on the ceiling will be connected to your fan, but it's possible.

The ceiling isolator should only ever be used if any maintenance work is being carried out, and should not be used as a general on/off switch for anything.

I'd get a replacement fan which has a built in pull cord. 12V ideally to save having to worry about removing the transformer.

It's unlikely that the pull cord on the ceiling will be connected to your fan, but it's possible.

The ceiling isolator should only ever be used if any maintenance work is being carried out, and should not be used as a general on/off switch for anything.

I'd get a replacement fan which has a built in pull cord. 12V ideally to save having to worry about removing the transformer.

Thanks, I'll have a look for one.

I'm not sure what the pull cord on the ceiling is for then, I figured that as it's literally about 6 inches through a wall from the fan switch and transformer in the cupboard that it'd be part of that system.

Thanks, I'll have a look for one.

I'm not sure what the pull cord on the ceiling is for then, I figured that as it's literally about 6 inches through a wall from the fan switch and transformer in the cupboard that it'd be part of that system.

Do you have an electric shower? Or did there used to be one?

This is so much more complicated than it should be.

I ordered a 12V fan this morning with pull cord from Amazon, it just showed up and it has no pull cord or on/off switch at all. I am right in thinking if I install it it will just continuously run as it isn't connected to the light switch or anything? The wiring at the hole for the fan is just a blue/brown wire which I assume is just neutral/live?

I'm struggling to find a 12V Fan with pull cord anywhere, I'm not sure how the timer models work exactly but would that be a solution?

A couple of things to throw in the mix-

Do you know whether the transformer for the fan is 12V AC or 12V DC?

Do you know if the transformer actually works?

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net