Discuss Wire extractor fan to bathroom pull switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
1964 house old style wiring

Need to wire a extractor fan up
Is it possible to wire the extractor fan to report switch there's 2 red wires in the pull switch both red. one is a permanent live
Can I wire it up to the pull switch some how or do I need to go to the ceiling rose wiring which is in a very awkward place
any help would be appreciated appreciated sailing rose which is in a very awkward place ceiling rows which is in a very awkward place any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20240105_154347.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240105_154014.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 20
1964 house old style wiring

Need to wire a extractor fan up
Is it possible to wire the extractor fan to report switch there's 2 red wires in the pull switch both red. one is a permanent live
Can I wire it up to the pull switch some how or do I need to go to the ceiling rose wiring which is in a very awkward place
any help would be appreciated appreciated sailing rose which is in a very awkward place ceiling rows which is in a very awkward place any help would be appreciated
You are lacking the neutral so would probably need to goto the ceiling rose.

It’s doubtful your going to find a switched live at some junction box it’s going to be at the ceiling rose.
The best way of wiring a timed extractor fan is use a 3 core+e from the rose to a 3 pole isolator switch feeding the fan

It’s doubtful your going to find a switched live at some junction box it’s going to be at the ceiling rose.
The best way of wiring a timed extractor fan is use a 3 core+e from the rose to a 3 pole isolator switch feeding the fan
Thank you all I think your all right ill have to get into the ceiling rose bit of a pain in the bum right under the Eve's but hey ho
Thanks to everybody that replied I'll post another picture when I get to it

Yes you will.

There was a time when houses had a central joint box under the landing floor for downstairs, and one in attic, right at the hatch, for upstairs.
If wired in twin and earth of course.

There was a feed from mains, and a twin running out to every switch, and a twin out to every light.
One big connector with all the lives, another for neutral and a massive one for earths.
and a handful of switchwire connections from each room switch to corresponding light.

Great care not to get those mixed up or bedroom 1 switch turns on the light somewhere else. 🤣

Yes you will.

There was a time when houses had a central joint box under the landing floor for downstairs, and one in attic, right at the hatch, for upstairs.

There was a feed from mains, and a twin running out to every switch, and a twin out to every light.
One big connector with all the lives, another for neutral and a massive one for earths.
and a handful of switchwire connections from each room switch to corresponding light.

Great care not to get those mixed up or bedroom 1 switch turns on the light somewhere else. 🤣
Tis
Yes you will.

This is what I found

Attachments

• 20240106_120130.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240106_120424.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 8
Yes you will.

That would mean you would only have 2 + e at each ceiling rose, this doesn't seem to be the case with OP.

Tis

This is what I found
Looks like someone has removed the rose and choc blocked it.
A typical thing that's done when putting up a light fitting that won't cover the ceiling rose.

The cables need to be in a proper enclosure.

Last edited:
Looks like someone has removed the rose and choc blocked it.
A typical thing that's done when putting up a light fitting that won't cover the ceiling rose.

The cables need to be in a proper enclosure.
If a electrician sorts that wiring
Does any body think it be compatible with a extractor fan that has a fan overrun on it
( continues to run after light switched off for a while)
Thanks

If a electrician sorts that wiring
Does any body think it be compatible with a extractor fan that has a fan overrun on it
( continues to run after light switched off for a while)
Thanks
Yeah it will. 3c+e from there to fan via fcu and isolator if required.

Reply to Wire extractor fan to bathroom pull switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net