Discuss Bathroom Fan in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davie a

Hi all quick question, Have main downlights in bathroom and am wanting to add fan that comes on with light and goes out with light(not timed).

twin/e comes from bathroom light switch and enters junction box and is as follows Red=L Black=N and E. Inside JB downlights twin cable is Brown=L Blue=N and lights are wired in serial. Plan was to take twin from JB Brown=L Blue=N and run to fused 3a then onto fan Brown Switched L and Blue to N.

After that fan isnt working any ideas?

if it's a timer fan, you may need to link L and S/L in the fan to make it work.

it is a timer and that has worked but why does L and S/L need to be linked inside the fan and if i decide to use the timer function is a just a matter of changing the twin/e for 3/e?

i have had timer fans that will not work when not using the timer facility. phoned manufacturer and they told me to link. if you are considering using the timer in the future, then use 3 core/e, use 2 cores and link L and S/L in fan. you've then got the 3rd core ready installed.

it is a timer and that has worked but why does L and S/L need to be linked inside the fan and if i decide to use the timer function is a just a matter of changing the twin/e for 3/e?

yes lad you can take a 3/e from the light with the perm supply at it and instead of fused spur i would a 3pole fan isolator switch its a better job imo or just bring the fan back and change it to a switched one.

Ok I cant find a lighting ring JB, I have 2 switches in the same area but back to back. A single socket serving the living room and theres a 2G 2W switch serving the bathroom, the 2W being the hall light. From the loft I see 4 cables running to /from the switch but cables seem to run from panel to switch then back up and heads to light fitting therefore that why I was not getting the fan to work as it was a SL and N so had to as advised link the SL and L inside the fan.

So Ive no idea how to find the permanent live if you cant track the JB down.

Any ideas or advice??

so am i correct that one of the cables i see in the loft running to the switch will hold the perm live? if so whats the best way to find it or do i have to feed wire down from switch?

difficult to say without seeing it. can you get a single double insulated cable to the switch? is the drop in tube?

be hit or a miss, no tube.

This is how ive wired up,

1. Removed rose and put SL,E and N into 4 terminal junction from there SL and N to first downlight then onto remainder wired in serial terminating in final lamp

2. SL from JB to switched fcu 3a then onto SL in fan
N from JB to switched fcu 3a then onto N in fan

3. Use insulated single core straight from permanent live in switch to switched fcu 3a then onto permanent live in fan

Is this the best/safe option and allow timer function to work?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
no. you can only use the fcu to switch either the perm. L or the switch L. not both. i'd forget the timer.

Orrrrr what about if i loose the fcu and replace with fan isolator so the timer works?

otherwise ill just leave as is with the SL and L in the fan linked meaning the fan goes on and off with light.

preffer timer if had choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
This explains it better... I think final soulution for timer to work.

current setup and as you said add yellow single insulated wire from switch to give fan perm live rather remove everthing and use 3 core/e?

Final query.

Attachments

• BTHRM.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Bathroom Fan in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net