Discuss Bathroom Luminaires in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

itg

I have a question relating to luminaires I wish to install in a Bathroom - well shower room.
I should KNOW this but I'm unsure as my interpretation of the regs seems at odds with general opinion.

Just what kind of main lighting can I fit in this room?

The location of the fitting will be outside of the defined zones, but of course, still in the room itself. The switch for the light will be outside the room. The regulations only prescribe IPX4 for anything within the zones but seems to suggest that anything else goes?

Please clarify for me.

Thanks.

If the lowest part of the light is above 2.25 metres above floor level ie. outside zones, then theoretically you could fit any light. However....... common sense tells you not to fit anything that is unshrouded or to at least IPX2 as it is still a wet area with a spraying shower head.

Thanks for that, your view agrees with my interpretation of the regs.

The customer wishes to fit a fairly flush, mains voltage ceiling fitting with 6 G4 lapms, each lamp encased in a glass bowl. It is definitely outside the zones both in height off the floor and vertical/horizontal separation from the sink, but is not IPX2 rated, though the bulbs themselves cannot be touched without removing the globe.

It looks quite good in the room but do I fit this or say I can't?

sorry, but this is a call only you can make, as it's your judgement as to whether it is going to be safe. As with any electrical work if you have any doughts, don't do it! Cover your ar*e and make sure it is safe by fitting a minimum IPX4 fitting.

Agree with miner69er. Just get the IPX4 fittings in and you'll sleep at night!

By the way, you are quite right in saying you "should KNOW" this. How about checking your OSG to Wiring Regs and OSG to Building Regs, if not the BS7671??? Also, this work needs to be notified, as I'm sure you are aware?????

Thanks for the comments.
I was seeking clarification of a reg that says I am allowed to fit anything, though you all (me included) agree is risky practice. Have you seen the type of lights for sale that say they are okay for bathrooms, 'outside the zones'???

The OSG, BS7671 and Guides to the Building Regs all state with absolute clarity what you can/cannot fit in zones 0, 1 and 2 but all leave it open, and by default allowable, to fit virtually anything outside the zones.

And, yes I know this is notifiable work and I am quite qualified to do this myself thanks.

Thanks for the comments.
I was seeking clarification of a reg that says I am allowed to fit anything, though you all (me included) agree is risky practice. H.

I suspect that its not as straightforward as being zone applicable
Any item has also got to be suitable for its environment
For me,bog standard fittings are not suitable for damp or wet rooms

I agree with you all.

The 'confusion' arises as the regs have removed Zone 3. This was always the 'dampish' area and again, there was clear instruction as to what you could or could not fit. The removal of Zone 3 has in effect made the "outside the zones area", deregulated.

I agree that we should fit IPX4 rated fittings, but my point was/is that the regs seem to say that this is not mandated anymore.

The 'suitable for the environment' bit is where you have to make a judgement. This came up yesterday looking at a bathroom refurb. The customer had already bought the ceiling light he wanted fitting about 550mm from the edge of the bath with 2.15m ceiling (ie zone 2). I looked at it and said I can't fit that. He says but the guy in the shop said it was ok for bathrooms. Sure enough - the instructions clearly stated IP44, but the four GU10 lamps are completely exposed. You know - the chrome metal type with a round base and two arms which swing around and have two lamps on each. Personally don't think it's suitable and I won't fit it.

Reply to Bathroom Luminaires in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net