Discuss Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Adrian Sadler

Evenin all

Just after opinions on the following...

1. Bedroom turned to bathroom. No cpc in lighting. Boiler in bedroom. Shower in downstairs bathroom. Old mcb board with no rcd....

My view - install rcd to ring main feeding boiler. Spur off this to get good elec for lighting with lv timer fan. Fan isolator. Light n fan fed from spur in loft tagged off ring as stated. Extend shower cable to new location. Install rcd at board for shower. Oh n boiler next to bath so thats being boxed into a cupboard with a lock. Only issue is the fused spur inside the cupboard

Any other ways of doing it differently?

2. Existing bathroom. No isolation for mirror with light n demister. No fuse for fan or lights. Fan is timer model and earth in flex used as switched live. Rcd on board ok. Fan isolator present.

My view - pull lighting circuit back. Install sw fused spur for mirror. Install sfs to cover n protect fan.

Any other thoughts?

2. Existing bathroom. No isolation for mirror with light n demister. No fuse for fan or lights. Fan is timer model and earth in flex used as switched live. Rcd on board ok. Fan isolator present.

My view - pull lighting circuit back. Install sw fused spur for mirror. Install sfs to cover n protect fan.
?

Care to reference any regulation to back up any of these items?

The isolator for the mirror will be the MCB in the CU
The fuse for the cable supplying the fan and lights will also be the mcb
As ridiculous as it sounds there is a reg which permits a G/Y core in a flex to be oversleeved in brown and used as a line conductor.

Have recommended a new c.u.

Usual crap as im a subby whos 'estimator' didnt see any of this. Customer does not have funds for a new cu so its makin the best of a bad job.
Is there anything wrong with what im doing? Far as i see it complies but didnt know if theres a easyier way. The bathroom/bedroom is already completed bar the electrics

Care to reference any regulation to back up any of these items?

The isolator for the mirror will be the MCB in the CU
The fuse for the cable supplying the fan and lights will also be the mcb
As ridiculous as it sounds there is a reg which permits a G/Y core in a flex to be oversleeved in brown and used as a line conductor.

If there is an issue with the transformers inside it gives me isolation leaving the rest of the house on?
The fan is a timer model lv effort and manual specifies sfs. It does seem excessive but aren't they classed as fixed appliances requiring local isolation?

If there is an issue with the transformers inside it gives me isolation leaving the rest of the house on?
The fan is a timer model lv effort and manual specifies sfs.

Do you install an isolator for each LV downlight, shaver point, fluorescent fitting, LED fitting, doorbell etc etc you fit?

I agree it may be sensible, but only if the clients wishes to have it done. To go in to an existing installation and state that it is wrong to not have one fitted is a bit different

The fuse will only protect the bit of cable between it and the transformer for the fan, it won't be any use in protecting the transformer or the fan. It's far more likely that the mcb will clear a fault before that fuse anyway

If the installation manual specs it yes. Fans i seem to fit say double pole isolation with a fuse. I suppose i could say dp isolation is the main switch n the fuse is the mcb in the board.

Are you saying it is wrong to fit a sfs to a mirror with light n demister? Or just above and beyond?

Have recommended a new c.u.

Usual crap as im a subby whos 'estimator' didnt see any of this. Customer does not have funds for a new cu so its makin the best of a bad job.
Is there anything wrong with what im doing? Far as i see it complies but didnt know if theres a easyier way. The bathroom/bedroom is already completed bar the electrics

Sounds about right, no problem finding the several thousand quid to refurbish/convert a bedroom into a bathoom, but no money to keep his family and home safe... S**t for brains....

Im not saying its wrong not to have one - but i need to explain why the job isnt a 5 minute job.
One side says just fit everything to existing wiring and list non compliance from manufacturers instructions on the cert.

Other side is to do it as per manual. Tbf in quite a few bathrooms i have been doing i have been pulling mains back to a sfs (even more so where there's no rcd and install a rcd sfs) and wiring the lights n timer from this inc a tripple pole isolater.

How do others do lights/fans/mirror lights?

Im not saying its wrong not to have one - but i need to explain why the job isnt a 5 minute job.
One side says just fit everything to existing wiring and list non compliance from manufacturers instructions on the cert.

Other side is to do it as per manual. Tbf in quite a few bathrooms i have been doing i have been pulling mains back to a sfs (even more so where there's no rcd and install a rcd sfs) and wiring the lights n timer from this inc a tripple pole isolater.

How do others do lights/fans/mirror lights?

And feed your horse tonight.

Yee haaaaaaaa lol

So from all that i can tell my 'estimator' hes no good and if you want it done properly its how i put in the OP. Listin deviations to cover s**t quotes is bad full stop

Cheerd

Reply to Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net