Discuss Batteries for MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

What batteries for your MFT?

• Mine is a specific rechargeable pack for it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

Mark_Burgess

Who is using what for their MFT?

I have a Fluke 1652B that uses 6 AA batteries, in that I have been using Duracell ultra AA's.

What I want to know is,

Are the high capacity rechargeable AA's (2850mAh) any good in a MFT?

Do any of you have the fluke rechargeable pack for the 165* MFT's? If so is it worth it?

Does anyone use Lithium AA's? (They are meant to be the dogs for life span, but I have not got round to getting some)

dunno about fluke, but megger advise not to use rechargeables. the lithium non- rechargeables have a life around 6 x that of alkalines.

Fluke do say you can use rechargeables, isswww did have a pack that can be bought for it made by fluke, but not anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluke sent out an application note a couple of years ago (if I find it, I will post it later) recommending the use of Duracell or Energiser alkaline batteries in their installation testers where the tester was to be used or temporary stored at ambient temperatures below 10°C (Megger now offer similar advice). No reason for this was suggested at the time, however, Megger have since suggested that their exhaustive testing has found that other makes of battery exhibit higher internal resistance due to their method of construction and that their performance is severely compromised at low ambient temperatures. As most MFTs are either stored or used in unheated vans and buildings, this is an important reason for making an informed choice, in the light of the manufacturers recommendation.

I use the 1651 with Aldi batteries, and the last set lasted 8 months, and the tester was in use all day every day with 17 apprentices going at it, and the other work i was doing for myself. Some of these so called top makes dont always cut it, they survive on name alone. How many wholesalers stock Aldi's batteries? NONE, but they all have duracell etc.

i once saw a thing on telly about batteries, and i seem to remember Morrisons budget brand coming out top.

Cheers.........Howard

personaly its Duracell plus as the wholesalers never have PRO in stock and BnQ do special deals on PLUS so I get a bundle
Noticed with the weans Elyfun game Duracell had enough power to make the butterflys come out the tube Energised just left them floating around the tube

Is part of the problem regarding rechargeable batteries the fact that they are mostly only 1.2v and not 1.5v. I know I have had problems in the past when using rechargeable batteries in certain items, they won't work in the battery grip for my DSLR for example, but alkalines work with no problem.

I might go down the Duracell Procell route on the basis I can get some tomorrow to cover this week. Then I will try the cheapo as per SirKit suggests until I can get some Lithium AA's delivered on a day I am in (do.gs might chew them, they hate post!).
On the basis of the 1.2 - 1.5v issue like Heisenberg says I may leave the rechargeables to head torch/laser level use for now.

Telectrix / Spartkus, I take it they last pretty well on Lithium and cope better with the cold?

Megger 1552.

Duracel Plus sometimes, but Duracell Ultra mostly.

Have tried some others but nothing lasts like duracell.

Aico smokes come with Duracell as OE fit too.

Reply to Batteries for MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net