Discuss Becoming an electrician during covid times.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have seen the posts about becoming an electrician, however, given we are living in uncertain times, I would really like some advice on becoming an electrician during the covid years.

I have a degree in electronic engineering and I have been working mainly in quality assurance over the last 10 years. I wish to make a transition and become a qualified electrician. Of course, courses are being impacted and I can see some courses are being adapted for online training.

Is this a good time to start a training and any pitfalls I need to watch out for? I would love to hear from you.

Take care ,thanks

The sooner you start the better.
All,courses courses start with the boring bits like H & Safety. Statutory and non statutory regulations all of which can be done remotely.

Also the theory aspect can be=mostly done remotely. By the time you’ve done that this covid thing will have blown over or we will have to “earn to live with it and you will start the practical side.

biggest piece of advice And most difficult. No matter which route you take. Get practical experience on site with qualified electricians.

Offer to work for free until you are of use and not just in the sparkies way. then dont expect big bucks until your qualified. Then you get big bucks.

An apprentice or trainee is not an asset for electricians like me ( others will disagree, but most wont).
Basically if I have A trainee I cannot leave them on there own to do anything. I have to stand watching them. While I’m watching them I’m not working. Less work is getting done than I if I was on my own.
Also if I do leave them to get on with a task I then have to spend time checking there work.
after 2 or 3 months they should be to a standard where I don’t have to:stand over them.
Then they want more money. or they leave Because it’s not what they thought it would be.
Then there are liability issues, insurances etc....

if I took on A trainee I would want to gst paid by them not me pay them.

sorry I didn’t want to sugar coat this.

If you can do it and afford to do it brilliant Go for it. It’s a brilliant trade and if you work hard and cope with expense and low wages now, then you can do good money in the future.

As you have some electrical knowledge already and have made it to 30+ without killing yourself you won't be as much of a liability as an out-of-school apprentice, etc. But still don't expect much pay until you have shown you are useful/qualified.

Having help is good, even for the menial things like passing tools up a ladder or helping pull cables, so if you come across as keen and not a risk you should have a decent chance of getting practical on-site experience with an electrician.

However, much of the domestic market is a race to the bottom on price (and quality) so you need to be looking to get qualifications and experience to get work in commercial/industrial areas, or a good enough reputation that domestic folk still pay you a fair amount for good work.

As you have some electrical knowledge already and have made it to 30+ without killing yourself you won't be as much of a liability as an out-of-school apprentice, etc. But still don't expect much pay until you have shown you are useful/qualified.

Having help is good, even for the menial things like passing tools up a ladder or helping pull cables, so if you come across as keen and not a risk you should have a decent chance of getting practical on-site experience with an electrician.

However, much of the domestic market is a race to the bottom on price (and quality) so you need to be looking to get qualifications and experience to get work in commercial/industrial areas, or a good enough reputation that domestic folk still pay you a fair amount for good work.
Hi PC - as a soon-to-be-trainee myself, what sort of qualifications do you need to go into industrial/commercial settings, or is it just a case of working with the right companies?

I'm interested mainly in house bashing simply because i like being my own boss, nobody keeping me to a clock, can have a brew when i want, less red tape etc. but i'm also interested in the commercial or industrial side. Are there extra quals on top of your standard C&G 3, inspection and testing etc that make those sectors more accessible??

Thanks.

The various routes to jobs is not something I'm up on these days, but looking at getting a JIB gold card is probably a sensible route:
Ah right thanks - the gold card was part of my plan anyway so i guess that's a good thing.

I'm also new to the industry having left a 30 year corporate career in October last year to work in an industry where you're not stuck behind a desk all the time. I thought that the route to 'employment' would be more straightforward but having done a C&G level 3 domestic installer course (18th Edition, initial verification and testing and Part P building regs included) I'm now looking for electricians mate roles to gain the right experience.

As others have posted it's a mixed bag so far. Most companies are looking for people with experience and ECS cards to work in commercial settings. Not very many are looking for domestic trainees.

If you're looking for paid employment then I'd suggest doing a full 2365 course, start in the commercial side and then move to domestic in a few years time if that's what you want. Just my view of the market in COVID times but there does seem to be more commercial than domestic opportunities out there at the moment.

I'm also new to the industry having left a 30 year corporate career in October last year to work in an industry where you're not stuck behind a desk all the time. I thought that the route to 'employment' would be more straightforward but having done a C&G level 3 domestic installer course (18th Edition, initial verification and testing and Part P building regs included) I'm now looking for electricians mate roles to gain the right experience.

As others have posted it's a mixed bag so far. Most companies are looking for people with experience and ECS cards to work in commercial settings. Not very many are looking for domestic trainees.

If you're looking for paid employment then I'd suggest doing a full 2365 course, start in the commercial side and then move to domestic in a few years time if that's what you want. Just my view of the market in COVID times but there does seem to be more commercial than domestic opportunities out there at the moment.
Every spark i know doing domestic is ridiculously pushed out for work. Unfortunately i think the only way to get experience is just to get experience yourself sometimes, if someone isn't willing to take you on. Start off on small jobs or put yourself out there for work and get in some help to guide you. There's nothing to say you can't take on work and employ someone else to help you do it.

The sooner you start the better.
All,courses courses start with the boring bits like H & Safety. Statutory and non statutory regulations all of which can be done remotely.

Also the theory aspect can be=mostly done remotely. By the time you’ve done that this covid thing will have blown over or we will have to “earn to live with it and you will start the practical side.

biggest piece of advice And most difficult. No matter which route you take. Get practical experience on site with qualified electricians.

Offer to work for free until you are of use and not just in the sparkies way. then dont expect big bucks until your qualified. Then you get big bucks.

An apprentice or trainee is not an asset for electricians like me ( others will disagree, but most wont).
Basically if I have A trainee I cannot leave them on there own to do anything. I have to stand watching them. While I’m watching them I’m not working. Less work is getting done than I if I was on my own.
Also if I do leave them to get on with a task I then have to spend time checking there work.
after 2 or 3 months they should be to a standard where I don’t have to:stand over them.
Then they want more money. or they leave Because it’s not what they thought it would be.
Then there are liability issues, insurances etc....

if I took on A trainee I would want to gst paid by them not me pay them.

sorry I didn’t want to sugar coat this.

If you can do it and afford to do it brilliant Go for it. It’s a brilliant trade and if you work hard and cope with expense and low wages now, then you can do good money in the future.
I fully agree with this. They are not an asset for the first while, more of a liability. If i was a sole trader I wouldn't be paying an apprentice to work with me until until are actually making me money. But then I'm not, our apprentices get paid and we were all there one day.
To the OP, there's loads of work out there at the minute so nows as good a time as any. Don't expect to get paid much at all for the first couple of years. The apprenticeship is long and I wouldn't advise you to do it if you have any financial commitments that you may struggle with, but as woth any sort of training it's all worth it in the end.

Reply to Becoming an electrician during covid times.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net