Discuss Being new to site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dawn

Being new to this site,and being a female ,tut,don't even try that get an electrician,you have made a mistake,we'll read my post I stated the last tenant had removed the sleeve from the black (hot wire) and having 3 blacks ,checking which one was neutral only to know why I maybe have 2 black lives and how to find out.I may be a woman,but should not and will never be treated second to any person who may know more than me on 1 subject,I know plenty on many subjects. The wiring in my house was done by cowboys. They were paid to be cowboys ,probably good money, well I am no cowgirl,so I am having to correct some one else's Bodged job.Again I may be female but I can do many more jobs than a lot of the general man would even attempt I have just fitted an engine in a motorbike I am building myself ,a cbr600 fx ( honda) I do all my own work on my bikes I ask for help when I need it and listen so I know next time,last 3 days I have plumed and wired a new shower in my house with no leaks no electric shocks laid a path in back garden ,I decorate lay floors ,build laptops,, for which many men ask me to fix, (mainly clean up **** sites visited) I ride a blade motorbike pull wheelies and have a lot of fun,if I needed an electrician I would of called one so please no patronising answers, if you can't help please don't pretend you can because I find that rude my husband of 20 years wouldn't dream of doing that so why should you.. Thank you very muchvery much

Dawn with all due respect, the forum is for electricians, in which you have no training nor qualifications. The subject is not just connecting the correct cables together, it is the testing of the installation, to ensure safety and certifying the job. We have professional female electricians on the site, who have trained for many years, and are totally respected by all, due to their experience. Any person coming onto a site such as this, without experience, will be told to seek professional help, for their own safety. I hope this explains the answers to your post.

Being new to this site,and being a female ,tut,don't even try that get an electrician,you have made a mistake,we'll read my post I stated the last tenant had removed the sleeve from the black (hot wire) and having 3 blacks ,checking which one was neutral only to know why I maybe have 2 black lives and how to find out.I may be a woman,but should not and will never be treated second to any person who may know more than me on 1 subject,I know plenty on many subjects. The wiring in my house was done by cowboys. They were paid to be cowboys ,probably good money, well I am no cowgirl,so I am having to correct some one else's Bodged job.Again I may be female but I can do many more jobs than a lot of the general man would even attempt I have just fitted an engine in a motorbike I am building myself ,a cbr600 fx ( honda) I do all my own work on my bikes I ask for help when I need it and listen so I know next time,last 3 days I have plumed and wired a new shower in my house with no leaks no electric shocks laid a path in back garden ,I decorate lay floors ,build laptops,, for which many men ask me to fix, (mainly clean up **** sites visited) I ride a blade motorbike pull wheelies and have a lot of fun,if I needed an electrician I would of called one so please no patronising answers, if you can't help please don't pretend you can because I find that rude my husband of 20 years wouldn't dream of doing that so why should you.. Thank you very muchvery much
Good for you!

I can't believe you'd do such a thing and then happily say so on an open forum. Whilst what you're doing isn't illegal, many believe it should be. So perhaps you should have a good think about what you're doing before you go any further down the wrong path. So my advice would be to dispose of the Honda somewhere no one will ever find it, and never speak of it again.

I have a feeling you are going to need your tin hat

MAAAAAAAANNNN, SHEEEEE CRAAAIIIIIIIIZZYYYYY!!!!! (intentional typo)

that is the single most pointless rant at nothing and nobody I have ever read!! like chuff am I telling her what to do, because if it's wrong and she gets a shock she'll be round my house on her motorbike before you can say 'bloody DIYers'!

look back on her 4 posts and you'll see she has started threads in the same manner, in her first one the best response she had was to get an electrician in, I don't think she liked that hence her attitude,

eh?.....

tin hat.jpg Woman cook,iron,wash
Man Hunt,gather, fix things.

That's a legally notifiable job, fyi. Should cost you around £300 ish from your local Buildings Control to get it inspected and certified. You did check it complies with all the requirements of section 701, didn't you? How did you get on with your supplementary bonding and cable calcs?

FFS - get off your high horse you stupid person, the reason you're taking heat has nothing to do with you being a woman and has everything to do with you being a muppet. When will people get it? ELECTRICITY KILLS and it's not just about screwing a few wires together until the thing fires up. I did a call-out last year to a DIY installed electric shower - the owners adult son had been electrocuted whilst using it due to an earthing fault. He was actually physically incapacitated and needed to be rescued (thankfully, and amazingly, survived 'ok'). So - if you want to play at being the big look-at-me with a chip on your shoulder and a point to prove,that's fine. Take up something which you can't kill someone with. Because your husband of 20 years would probably like to make it to 21, at least.

That's a legally notifiable job, fyi. Should cost you around £300 ish from your local Buildings Control to get it inspected and certified. You did check it complies with all the requirements of section 701, didn't you? How did you get on with your supplementary bonding and cable calcs?

FFS - get off your high horse you stupid person, the reason you're taking heat has nothing to do with you being a woman and has everything to do with you being a muppet. When will people get it? ELECTRICITY KILLS and it's not just about screwing a few wires together until the thing fires up. I did a call-out last year to a DIY installed electric shower - the owners adult son had been electrocuted whilst using it due to an earthing fault. He was actually physically incapacitated and needed to be rescued (thankfully, and amazingly, survived 'ok'). So - if you want to play at being the big look-at-me with a chip on your shoulder and a point to prove,that's fine. Take up something which you can't kill someone with. Because your husband of 20 years would probably like to make it to 21, at least.
how do you know it needed it?

to the OP:

go get an electrician in love.

you can put the kettle on whilst he`s working...

In attempting to translate your post I think you are saying I have three black wires and you want to find out which ones are lives and which ones are neutral.
Unfortunately from the information given we are unable to say, this would require electrical testing on site to determine the connections.
Also because you are using American and English terminology it is not possible to ascertain what you mean since the black is neutral in UK and Live in USA.

A convoluted post like yours makes it hard to be able to respond effectively, perhaps providing more information on the electrical problem and avoiding unrelated issues may help.

Ok I'll be the voice of reason, here goes
Firstly as mentioned before the shower is a notifiable job
Secondly neutrals ie black wires can in certain circumstances be live for instance in a lighting circuit so without further information it is impossible to give safe advice even if anyone was inclined to do so.
I suggest you post the first three letters of your post code and maybe you'll find a spark thick skinned enough to take the abuse and check it safely for you although I doubt it now after your opener
Happy to help
But don't ring me

I told you to get an electrician, not a man.

Electrics are not just about connecting cables to terminals, you don't understand exactly what you're doing or how to identify unmarked cables, and how to get whatever you dismantled, back up and working, safely. Feel free to crack on with a trial and error mode, ignoring the dangers and complexity of electricity.

Can't help some people.

Last edited:

Reply to Being new to site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net