Discuss best books/reference guides for learning heating control wiring and fault finding. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snoopyspark

Hi All,

Apart from some recent PV Installations Iv'e never worked on domestic properties and I have to admit to knowing zero about central heating systems but after working for a renewables company I think I need to broaden my knowledge in this area as I think Heat pumps and solar thermal are going to become more commonplace also.
I'm looking for some advice on the best book(s) to buy and really need to start at the beginning (I mean i know something called a 2 port valve exists but what does it do? ) I need to learn all about the seperate components of a system how they are wired together also how is solar thermal or a heat pump integrated into a system and how does this effect the wiring etc. I'm not too proud to admit I know zip about this subject and any pointers would be appreciated. I mean i can look at wiring diagrams but if i don't know what the bits are/do i'm notgoing to get anywhere am i? Any recommendations would be helpfull.

Re: best books/reference guides for learning heating control wiring and fault finding

Get yourself on a Honeywell course. They are free (apart from you need time off work that day) and very informative. Check out their website. There is more than one post on this site giving opinions and info. You will come away with lots of useful books and info.

Re: best books/reference guides for learning heating control wiring and fault finding

Hi All,

Apart from some recent PV Installations Iv'e never worked on domestic properties and I have to admit to knowing zero about central heating systems but after working for a renewables company I think I need to broaden my knowledge in this area as I think Heat pumps and solar thermal are going to become more commonplace also.
I'm looking for some advice on the best book(s) to buy and really need to start at the beginning (I mean i know something called a 2 port valve exists but what does it do? ) I need to learn all about the seperate components of a system how they are wired together also how is solar thermal or a heat pump integrated into a system and how does this effect the wiring etc. I'm not too proud to admit I know zip about this subject and any pointers would be appreciated. I mean i can look at wiring diagrams but if i don't know what the bits are/do i'm notgoing to get anywhere am i? Any recommendations would be helpfull.

If you have a smart phone Honeywell have a wiring app which is very handy

I'd second the honeywell course. It did cost me around £30 for the day though.

The course I attended consisted of me and a couple other sparks with a good working knowledge of heating systems combined with novice installers and a few plumbers with little or no knowledge at all.

It's worth it just for the handouts IMO as they contain all manner of technical info & diagrams on heating systems & components.

maybe im on it then.. you have to start somewhere

is there a an easy clue im missing, when you look at a heating system , you know what kind it is..

if im asking 1000 questions in forget this post

so say in my place i have old time clock which you set by pushing in the wee buttons, it heats the water and heaters at same time, what system isit????

It's hard to tell just by looking at the timeclock. do you have an airing cupboard with a cylinder etc???

yeah, which has a device on the pipes which i think is a valve and a stat on the tank.. its an awkward place to look at them, always full of clean towels and the likes, id need to sh ** t bed for a week to get her empty

so where would the 10 way conector block be?? if seen some house are just all jammed back of timer/clock in separate connectors

The 2 most common types are Y plan & S plan. One valve with 3 pipe connections would be a Y plan system. 2 valves, each with 2 pipe connections would be an S plan.

There are other types but no so common.

thast good info for learner, when i look at mine i dont see any cables that go to it tho, could be outside as there is flats above and we could use same bolier or something...

Best to just enrol on the course i=p/u, it should boost your knowledge on the area a good bit. Whereabouts in Belfast and what date for the course?

Hi Friends!!!!!!

You can opt for the "emagister-Construction Skills(CITB) central Heating controls Wiring and Fault Finding course", which is a bit costly, it would cost you near about £450, and some additional tax amount may be. It's a 3 day training program. For more you can google this training programme, you will come to know more details of it. It would be the best one for you.

Reply to best books/reference guides for learning heating control wiring and fault finding. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net