Discuss Best Supplier for fuse wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of a few meters of fuse wire in 100A, 80A, 60A, 50A, 20A & 15A. I can find a few suppliers that sell the smaller values as a carded pack but I'm struggling to find the larger sizes. I'm open to suggestions, I'll even buy complete rolls if necessary but I need an international supplier preferably (I'm located southern Africa). I already tried most of the usual suspects like RS etc but drew a blank so far.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bloody hell! What you up to?

The only one I can remember of the top of my head is one strand out of 7/.064 is 100A. that’s going back to my apprenticeship.

If you give me time I’ve got some 40 odd year old tables for fuse wire, (the proper stuff not our quick fix as above).

I’ve an idea I may be able to get some for you from where I used to work. An old DC system. The problem is lots of the place has been demolished so what’s left I don’t know. Will give them a call Monday. It will only cost you postage if they’ve still got any of it left.

But if this helps
Fuse wire rating (A)
Cu Wire diameter (mm)

Bloody hell! What you up to?

Don't ask.....mining equipment:)

I wasn't sure if any of the UK DNO's still used this type of wire in their domestic/small commercial fuse boxes. I have a sizing chart also (somewhere) but I was hoping to just get some wire that was rated in the values listed in the first post for use on a 230volt supply. To be honest I need 100A and 60A immediately but if I'm going to the trouble of sourcing those sizes I'll rather just buy the complete range and keep in stock.

I’ve an idea I may be able to get some for you from where I used to work. An old DC system. The problem is lots of the place has been demolished so what’s left I don’t know. Will give them a call Monday. It will only cost you postage if they’ve still got any of it left.

Thanks Tony,I'd greatly appreciate it if you have the time. I'll happily foot the postage and any other expenses involved.

Do not know whether it would be worth ringing a few places in UK and asking if they could send some over, they may be a bit surprised but may consider it. I once sourced something from America by ringing a small local hardware company in Pennsylvania and they sent the stuff over!
Not sure about tax and carriage problems.

These two smallish UK companies sell the wire you want
ABM Electrical Distributors, electrical, products in our Wiring Neccessities category
Fuses and Fuse Wire : LB Electrical Wholesale Distributors

I’m gob smacked.
Supplies for dinosaurs.

To be honest Marvo there’s your answer.

And again to be honest make yourself scarce before energising the circuit. I didn’t know adrenalin was brown until I put a 100A re-wireable fuse holder in on to a fault.

For gods sake protect yourself, I’ve seen some nasties with big re-wireable fuses.

Thanks for the links Mr Burns. That's exactly what I'm looking for :)

Thanks for the advice Tony. I've had some experience with 100A fused systems, I go out of my way to isolate then power on again after changing fuses. I've also lost some arm hairs in the past on these old systems when re-fusing a live circuit to a fault.

You’re playing on my old stamping ground then!

Enjoy yourself, but please keep safe.

I don't know why in UK there was fuse wires in first place, instead of proper ceramic fuses. I have seen old factories where electricians have installed oversized fuse wires on 20 A fuse holders. When there was ground fault of course it failed to save the person.

Hi SYSRQ, Welcome to the forum, This thread is over 3 years old so I am closing the thread, but I Have approved your post for you to get you going on the forum.
Even though it is a closed thread members can still see the thread, any problems feel free to pm me or another staff member.

Last edited:

Reply to Best Supplier for fuse wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net