Discuss Better system I think but do folks here agree? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gozoman

Some time ago I had a local solar installer quote me for an installation at my home here in N. Ireland. As I live in a two bedroom semi-detached house my main problem was going to be roof area. The original quote recommended using 8 Linuo Power 235 W solar panels and a Samil Power SolarRiver 1600TL inverter. I turned this down because I didn't feel kit was making the maximum use of the space available and I didn't want a Chinese made inverter in my loft as I don't trust anything Chinese. Today they came back with a new quotation this time recommending 8 x SunPower SPR-327NE-WHT 327 W panels and a SMA Solar Technology AG Sunny Boy 2500HF 2.5kW inverter. Now I know the SMA inverters are the best available but does anyone have any views on the Sunpower panels which have been suggested? The new system is coming in at £1100 more than the first but I feel that I would be getting a better system. I'm going to see if they can fit the Schuco Sunny Boy 2500HF inverter instead and save me a bit of money as it is the same inverter anyway. Any views on this setup appreciated.

By the way the original quotation was for £3514.88 and the latest one using the better components is £4655.09. The original system size was 1880 Watts and the new size is 2620 Watts.

Sunpower are the best performing panel in the world, although the company supplying them have to be Sunpower approved as you can not buy their panels wholesale.

As they are more efficient, you can get more power from a smaller area, as proved in you figures.

Your new quote is less per watt than the previous quote, so really it is better value.

Others may suggest a different make of inverter, but SMA although towards the top end of price ranges are very good, proven reliable and with very good company back up if it is required.
The only point I would question is why not use a TL inverter, such as an SMA2500TL, as they are more efficient, there may be a technical reason, but I am not aware of one.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I actually suggested the SMA inverters to them as they were recommended by folk on here as being the best.

Whats the difference between the SMA2500TL and the SMA2500HF and why is it more efficient?

The TL inverter is a little more efficient, just over 1%, but every little helps in production of power from a PV system.

As I said there may be a technical reason why they have chosen an HF inverter over a TL inverter, maybe it would be worth asking the company that have quoted you?

TL - stands for "transformer less" ...........

SMA website will explain why they are more efficient ( only slightly but every % counts I suppose )

The only real practical difference is the TL's have to be earth bonded and not as physically as heavy iirc

I've heard that the transformerless inverters are a better option. I'll ask them when I email them back regarding the quote. I assume more efficient means more expensive?

I've heard that the transformerless inverters are a better option. I'll ask them when I email them back regarding the quote. I assume more efficient means more expensive?

My original system had a SMA TL but due to no stock at the time - I received the HF and I'm more than happy. The location and surrounding environment is really far more important than whether its a TL or a HF, IMO

Slightly more efficient, dont think there's much in it money wise but there are certainly more work in installing a TL I believe.... wiring wise

Please check.............

Yeah I've just been checking and there certainly doesn't seem to be any difference price wise worth of worrying about. Perhaps they suggested the HF because the the easier fitting.

The SMA SB 2100TL, SMA SB 2500TL & SMA 2500HF are SMA inverters which would work with this install. There isnt much generation difference between the various options.

Last edited:
That may explain why I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was trying to find a Schuco 2500TL. So you are saying that for this system the 2100TL would be a better choice?

No, the SMA SB 2100TL is a possible solution, as are the others.
I would personally go for the SMA Schuco 2500HF, because it is a good quality, slim, light weight, easy to install, bluetooth enabled inverter - using tried & tested technology.
SMA TL inverters are slightly more efficient, but no one knows how long they'll last in typical operational conditions in the field, compared with earlier less efficient transformer based inverters which use technology which has been around for a very long time.

Last edited:
Yeah that makes sense I suppose, go for what is known to do the job. You say that the SMA Schuco 2500HF has bluetooth. Is this an added feature on the Schuco branded one or does the normal SMA 2500HF also have bluetooth? Does this mean it will comunicate directly with my laptop without having to buy any extra hardware?

Both inverters are exactly the same, made by SMA in the same factories, to the same specifications, just different branding and case covers. SMA Schuco 2500HF has a grey metallic cover. SMA 2500HF has a red metallic cover. Both are bluetooth enabled.
You'll need to buy a compatible Bluetooth adapter for your laptop, that works well with SMA's preinstalled Bluetooth.

Both inverters are exactly the same, made by SMA in the same factories, to the same specifications, just different branding and case covers. SMA Schuco 2500HF has a grey metallic cover. SMA 2500HF has a red metallic cover. Both are bluetooth enabled.
You'll need to buy a compatible Bluetooth adapter for your laptop, that works well with SMA's preinstalled Bluetooth.

Just to follow on from this - the SMA monitoring software is ace ( and free download from the SMA site ) so dont waste your money getting the SMA Bluetooth monitor :wink_smile:

I already have bluetooth built into my Sony Vaio so it should work okay with the proper software.

Its there own proprietary BlueTooth ( and hence why you dont see any iPhone apps for SMA as they use cloak & dagger around their code/routines/protocols afaik ), but with all the laptops I've used so far havent had an issue apart from distance been cr4p especially when you have good double glazing and carbon coated cavity wall insulation beading - lol

Surely double glasing would only be an issue if the inverter is mounted outside. I was planning on having it mounted in the loft.

Last edited:

Reply to Better system I think but do folks here agree? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net