Discuss Boilerhouse containment in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is up to the person designing the installation to decide. But I would expect them to be making their decision for technical reasons rather than economical or ease.
The chances of plastic containment being suitable are pretty slim considering the relative ambient temperature and the stress this will put on plastic containment.
It's not that long ago that nothing but MI would be considered for a boiler house

We always use galvanised steel trunking and conduit. The only plastic we use is Kopex flexible conduit to the pumps and temperature sensors.

Plastic trunking is a pain to remove the lid from and can't span voids where steel can.

Depends on how big the boiler house is.

If it's Domestic or small Commercial it shouldn't be hot enough to cause a problem with plastic.

If it's contains gas boilers the gas regs stipulate the max room temperature and the amount of ventilation required.

If it is hot it needs sorting out, excess heat costs money to produce.

If it's an existing boiler house I'd stick with the standard previously set so if there's steel containment already in there then stick to steel. If it's a new boiler house I'd enquire for a design spec. The decision is rarely just an electrical one, often there's fire regs etc that may determine the requirement.

If it's an existing boiler house I'd stick with the standard previously set so if there's steel containment already in there then stick to steel. If it's a new boiler house I'd enquire for a design spec. The decision is rarely just an electrical one, often there's fire regs etc that may determine the requirement.
follow marvo's advice.

we work in some places with little quirks, lables screwed to wall next to isolators and seperate trunking for power and controls (segregated is acceptable everywhere else) not allowed to use plastic kopex either it has to be metal.

unless it is domestic with a single combi etc then plastic might be suitable but metal is the way to go in a boiler room

Last edited:
Hi I just wanted to know if you have to use metal containment in a boilerhouse or whether I can use plastic thanks.

Hmm boiler houses, heat, possible water ingress, fire, chemical, lets see Metal for sure even go as far as specking galvanized conduit and trunking.

Reply to Boilerhouse containment in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net