Discuss Books and courses for an aspiring electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

yung_kio

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 17 yr old lad who wants to become an electrician.

I am interested in become an apprentice.

I have been unsuccessful with getting into an apprenticeship so in the meantime, what courses do you recommend I enroll in? Free or paid, I don't necessarily mind. I can ask for funding if it's that expensive.

Are there any books that you recommend? I know about Lessons in Industrial Instrumentation but I don't know if UK electricians rate it.

TL;DR
17 yrs old

In the meantime while looking for an apprenticeship. What courses and books do you recommend? free or paid, doesn't concern me.
Its not an amazon book, but easy to get it from them, it has practical articles C&G exam examples with model answers.

A book on inspection and testing might be better at some point in the future. OP is starting out and probably would benefit most from a grounding in basic theory, installation practices and regulations - testing won't be particularly engaging without knowing what it is you're testing.

It's not 'optimistic', Mike. OP is a 17yo wanting to start in the industry and likely has limited funds to spend on reading material.

Might as well jump straight into industrial design for all the sense anyone would make of inspection and testing as a starting point.

Try and be a bit more proactive and give some advice instead of just criticising my posts. the OP has got start somewhere, what would you recommend that's not the dry BS?

Last edited:
Try and be a bit more proactive and give some advice instead of just criticising my posts. the OP has got start somewhere, what would you recommend that's not the dry BS?

You use the exact same descriptor as I did in this post prior to one from yourself.

Thing is, Mike, I'm currently getting towards the end of an apprenticeship. As far as I'm aware you're not, and never have been, an electrician. That's not intended to belittle, but something I consider to be a valid point where providing advice to a prospective apprentice is concerned.

While testing and inspection is an important subject for all electricians, I don't believe its study will be of much use to the OP at this point and I make that statement with some standing on the subject.

If you disagree by all means put forth your position, but posting daft insults isn't condusive to meaningful discussion, doesn't help the OP and most certainly isn't a viable face saving measure (if that's the reason you resort to it).

If you disagree by all means put forth your position, but posting daft insults isn't condusive to meaningful discussion, doesn't help the OP and most certainly isn't a viable face saving measure (if that's the reason you resort to it).
It was not meant as an insult daft or not, its intent was to try and defuse what looked to be an ongoing possible future conflict.

Reply to Books and courses for an aspiring electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net