Discuss Books and courses for an aspiring electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

The best thing to do isn’t buy a book but watch videos by GSH Electrical (for the practical side) and Joe Robinson (for the theoretical side).
You should get all the training material you will need for each of the units you are doing. If you are only 17 I’m guessing you will be going full time either doing a C&G level 1 (7202) or level 2 (8202) or even a T-level if your local college is doing them. If you are doing level 2 the only book you will need is the On-Site guide BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 (make sure it is brown) as your exam will require you to look up tables and do calculations off the tabulated data and its worth getting familiar with this book before hand.
If you are going to do the course privately at your age you won’t get funding on an accelerated course and will have to pay for it. However if you are doing it privately the course will probably be 2365 L2 or similar as private providers can run the courses (exams) as they like so they can have multiple start dates over the year.
You are starting your training at an awkward time as the Government are pulling funding for under 19’s for all electrical courses bar the T-Level as they want to prove they work. Hopefully this gives you a bit of information. I’ve only put the course codes so you can look up anything that might give you a better insight of what you might be doing.
If you aren’t doing an apprenticeship or T-Level 3 you must complete a Level 2 Diploma before doing a Level 3 diploma. Then once you have the L3 diploma/T-Level you have to find a company willing to hire you as a (Trainee Electrician (Stage 3) while you then do the L3 NVQ 2357-44, AM2 and 18th edition to get your Gold card. As a non apprentice you probably won’t get any funding for the NVQ, AM2 or 18th Edition either.

Reply to Books and courses for an aspiring electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net