Discuss Bootlace ferrules in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi. Bootlace ferrules for consumer units terminations. Yes or no? Multi stranded cables only that is and not for putting rings together (periodic testing issues).

Do you use them?

What about on the tails into the board?

Cheers

JB

The reg's refer to fine-wire as seen in flexes etc and not your bog standard stranded cables so all fine wires must be dressed unless the termination is specifically designed for fine wire undressed.

The only time I have seen bootlace used is when rcbo leads are trimmed down , they do look neater than having all the strands squashed under a screw...

The reg's refer to fine-wire as seen in flexes etc and not your bog standard stranded cables so all fine wires must be dressed unless the termination is specifically designed for fine wire undressed.
Thank you. Do you happen to know which reg please? I guess it could also Explain why the leads have been left long on the RCBOs in The existing board. They did not have a crimp tool and left the original ferrule on..,

Fine stranded cables, always bootlaced, whatever the application.

Except 13A plugs, they were never designed for them.
By 'fine stranded' do you mean flexible?
Agree in general but I wouldn't say 'whatever'.
What about lampholder/rose flex?
Although, factory fitted plugs (non moulded), generally, do come crimped, without the 'bootlace', as do lampholder/rose flexes.

By 'fine stranded' do you mean flexible?
Agree in general but I wouldn't say 'whatever'.
What about lampholder/rose flex?
Although, factory fitted plugs (non moulded), generally, do come crimped, without the 'bootlace', as do lampholder/rose flexes.

If a rose is equipped as standard with a flex then I would assume that the terminal is designed to take that type of cable

Fine stranded cables, always bootlaced, whatever the application.

Except 13A plugs, they were never designed for them.
You can use uninsulated bootlace ferrules,the 'shoulders' of insulated ones just won't go
[automerge]1601904179[/automerge]
If a rose is equipped as standard with a flex then I would assume that the terminal is designed to take that type of cable

I believe I'm right on saying that if you were to take prewired flex out of a ceiling rose/pendant, you'll see uninsulated bootlace ferrules used on the conductors

Mmm.......Rock, about 15 years old.
Not really disagreeing with you, by the way, just, has it been wired to bs standard?

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Last edited:
While 13A plugs and pendant light fittings might well cope with fine-stranded wire, I find they cut mush of it unless you can double it up. One of the uninsulated ferrules results in a wire that looks as if it could be used a 2nd time!

Have I taken this too literally?

Excellent work, was it photoshop?
I have never seen babe station switched for family friendly viewing as well as that.

p.s. interesting to note that you dont use the top lace holes in your boots. I dont either, is it a common thing do you think or are we both just a little strange??
;)

Reply to Bootlace ferrules in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net