Discuss Bradford council rules , anyone clued up? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

ruston

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A mate of mine is building an extension on a house . The boiler is a long run from the new extension so he asked the builder to add another boiler to the extension to run underfloor heating , hot water, etc. The builder told him that if he does it this way in will be classed as a separate residence for rating purposes, he doubted this, so asked another builder he uses and got the same response. Can anyone confirm if this is correct.

I have told him to contact the council for clarification , but said I would ask on here to see if any of you have come across this personally.

Just go on Bradford's Council building control page. Al info and Q & A examples should be there. Or just call them.

I have advised him to do that thanks. He was just told by the second builder before he left for the North East today, be back there on Monday. I said I would get him a consensus, up to now it's nearly unanimous.

What do you mean by a separate rating system ...are you both singing from the same song sheet or are you getting crossed wires (pardon the pun)

What do you mean by a separate rating system ...are you both singing from the same song sheet or are you getting crossed wires (pardon the pun)

The rating bands for council tax is what he is on about , he has been told that if he adds a separate boiler in the extension ,that part will be classed as a separate entity, and will not just increase the banding of the original building but will get a separate rating.

I get you now .... i know different councils use various methods to put property into bands but i would be surprised if this is the case but the council need to be able to define the difference between a basic extension and a separate property and an easy way on paper would be the fact it has independent systems... so i think in the instance it can be said it falls foul of regulation designed to distinguish a separate property... i assume an appeal to the local council may clear this up as it still shares all other services and no doubt is a genuine extension.

Thanks for replying.

It seems there may be something in it then . I have told him to get the council to clarify the situation. It is an extension that is part of an existing house. He has never come across this before ; and he is Bradford born , but the two builders are adamant that this is the case.

I will let you know if I get the outcome from him.

installing a second boiler in an extension will NOT have any influence on the council tax rating of the main building. nor will it be classified as a separate entity that requires its own rating. if there is an adjoining door between the two buildings it is classed as an extension. your mate won't get charged two lots of council tax for one property.

Thanks for the reply. I will pass this on to him . I did not think it would either, but it just shows how myths are born.

As soon as he tells me what has happened I will post his info.

The subject of what is, or is not, a dwelling (for Council Tax purposes) is a 'can of worms'. I know, as I used to work with this sort of stuff. If something is a dwelling, then it gets 'banded'- that is to say, entered in the Council Tax valuation list. The 'person' that does the banding is the 'Listing Officer', who is an employee of the 'Valuation Office Agency' [VOA], which is part of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs[HMRC]. So, the 'banding' is nothing to do with local Councils.

One of the ways in which something can be classed as a dwelling is if it constitutes a 'self-contained unit'. What is, or is not, a 'self-contained unit', depends upon the facts of the situation. The test is a 'bricks and mortar' test - in other words, is what is physically there, a 'self-contained unit'? What is/or was, in the mind of the person who did the construction is irrelevant (the High Court has commented in decisions that such a person might, in any event, not be around to ask, depending upon how long ago the construction was carried out).

I don’t know that I would be so bold as to state (i) that the fact that an interconnecting door exists between an ‘extension’ and the ‘original property’ means that the two could never be classed as separate ‘self-contained units’ and therefore attract their own separate bandings in the Council Tax valuation list, or, (ii) that two boilers, one in an ‘original property’ and one in an ‘extension’ would always result in separate valuation list entries. As previously stated, it is a ’bricks and mortar’ test, on the particular facts of each case. The last I knew, there were at least around half a dozen High Court decisions on this sort of situation – colloquially referred to as ‘granny annexes’.

The best people to speak to about this are the Valuation Office Agency, not the council. These are the contact details:

The Listing Officer / Valuation Officer

Eastgate House

42 Eastgate

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS2 7JL

Tel:08456021507

Fax: 0113 3884602/3 (There is also an email address , which this site would not let me post.)

There is more reading, if anybody is interested, on the VOA website, in their Council Tax Manual, particularly Practice Note 5: Disaggregation of Dwellings. I tried to post a link, but this site won't let me.

Be aware, though, that this is just the VOA’s ‘take’ on the legislation and case law – Surveyors in private practice might take a different view.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

The subject of what is, or is not, a dwelling (for Council Tax purposes) is a 'can of worms'. I know, as I used to work with this sort of stuff. If something is a dwelling, then it gets 'banded'- that is to say, entered in the Council Tax valuation list. The 'person' that does the banding is the 'Listing Officer', who is an employee of the 'Valuation Office Agency' [VOA], which is part of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs[HMRC]. So, the 'banding' is nothing to do with local Councils.

One of the ways in which something can be classed as a dwelling is if it constitutes a 'self-contained unit'. What is, or is not, a 'self-contained unit', depends upon the facts of the situation. The test is a 'bricks and mortar' test - in other words, is what is physically there, a 'self-contained unit'? What is/or was, in the mind of the person who did the construction is irrelevant (the High Court has commented in decisions that such a person might, in any event, not be around to ask, depending upon how long ago the construction was carried out).

I don’t know that I would be so bold as to state (i) that the fact that an interconnecting door exists between an ‘extension’ and the ‘original property’ means that the two could never be classed as separate ‘self-contained units’ and therefore attract their own separate bandings in the Council Tax valuation list, or, (ii) that two boilers, one in an ‘original property’ and one in an ‘extension’ would always result in separate valuation list entries. As previously stated, it is a ’bricks and mortar’ test, on the particular facts of each case. The last I knew, there were at least around half a dozen High Court decisions on this sort of situation – colloquially referred to as ‘granny annexes’.

The best people to speak to about this are the Valuation Office Agency, not the council. These are the contact details:

Eastgate House

42 Eastgate

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS2 7JL

Fax: 0113 3884602/3 (There is also an email address , which this site would not let me post.)

There is more reading, if anybody is interested, on the VOA website, in their Council Tax Manual, particularly Practice Note 5: Disaggregation of Dwellings. I tried to post a link, but this site won't let me.

Be aware, though, that this is just the VOA’s ‘take’ on the legislation and case law – Surveyors in private practice might take a different view.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

Lol yes it does, but I will read it again in the morning.

ruston said
Lol yes it does, but I will read it again in the morning.

That's probably not a bad idea. :smiley2: I tried to explain it as straightforwardly as possible, but I'm aware that it's not easy to get a handle on it. Took me almost sixteen years (off and on) to do so. :grin:

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

Last edited:
ruston said

That's probably not a bad idea. :smiley2: I tried to explain it as straightforwardly as possible, but I'm aware that it's not easy to get a handle on it. Took me almost sixteen years (off and on) to do so. :grin:

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

Thanks for that , and thanks also to everyone who replied. I have forwarded a link to him to this thread and feel sure he will be grateful for the information you have given.

I will let you know how he fares as soon as I hear.

Last edited:
hi jez, welcome to the forum.

firstly, do you know any listing officers that would put an extension into a council tax band based solely on the installation of a boiler? obviously, if this extension has any of the amenities associated with a dwelling (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, toilet) then my answer would have been adjusted accordingly. but, based on the information provided by the op, i think his mate'll be ok.

i agree entirely with this. but nowhere in the op's question did i see anything to indicate that the extension is going to be a self contained unit. all he has told us of "what is physically there" is an extension with a boiler. a boiler on its own doesn't constitute a self contained unit and any bricks and mortar test would struggle to justify branding it as one.

I don’t know that I would be so bold as to state (i) that the fact that an interconnecting door exists between an ‘extension’ and the ‘original property’ means that the two could never be classed as separate ‘self-contained units’ and therefore attract their own separate bandings in the Council Tax valuation list, or, (ii) that two boilers, one in an ‘original property’ and one in an ‘extension’ would always result in separate valuation list entries. As previously stated, it is a ’bricks and mortar’ test, on the particular facts of each case. The last I knew, there were at least around half a dozen High Court decisions on this sort of situation – colloquially referred to as ‘granny annexes'.

i think you might have misread or misunderstood my statement. i neither said, nor meant "the fact that an interconnecting door exists between an 'extension' and the 'original property' means that the two could never be classed as separate 'self contained units' and therefore attract their own separate bandings in the council tax valuation list." - why would i say that? of course they could.

i think my post would have been better if i'd written it as:

(1) installing a second boiler in an extension will not have any influence on the council tax rating of the main building (obviously, the banding may be reclassified upon sale of the property by the present owners), nor will the installation of a boiler result in the extension being classified as a separate entity that requires its own rating (providing there is no supplementary evidence to the contrary - plumbing for bathroom/kitchen etc.).

(2) if there is an adjoining door between the two buildings (accessed through a living room and not a shared hallway) it is classed as an extension and not a self contained unit.

(3) your mate won't get charged two lots of council tax for one property (based on the information provided).

p.s. are you saying that there are situations in the high court involving the voa, regarding extensions with nothing more than a boiler? or do the court cases involve properties that are more akin to hmo's?

Eastgate House

42 Eastgate

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS2 7JL

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome Shagbite.

Opening the lid of the‘can of worms’ a bit further…

Shagbite said firstly, do you know any listing officers that would put an extension into a council tax band based solely on the installation of a boiler? obviously, if this extension has any of the amenities associated with a dwelling (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, toilet) then my answer would have been adjusted accordingly. but, based on the information provided by the op, i think his mate'll be ok.

The OP just stated that it was an ‘extension’ on a house and that the boiler is a ‘long run’ from the new ‘extension’. We don’t know what the ‘extension’ is, but the use of the words ‘long run’ suggests (to me anyway)that it is not just a ‘permitted development’, added onto the rear of an existing lounge (for e.g.). If it is, then I cannot see why it would need another boiler. Based on the facts we have at the moment, I wouldn’t like to come down off the fence, one way or the other. Even then, the decision is, ultimately, one for the Listing Officer [LO] but, quite properly, subject to the usual rights of appeal.

Re your question, I will try to answer it as directly as I can, but I am feeling a bit like the person who is asked for directions and whose initial response is ‘Well I would not have started from here’ :smiley2:. The answer to your question is ‘no’. But with the rider that I would have expected the LO to avail him/herself of all the relevant facts, and not just one/some of them, before making a decision.

If an ‘extension’ is a self-contained unit, then the LO is under a statutory duty to amend the Council Tax valuation list, to include an entry in respect of the dwelling, with effect from the date that the dwelling came into existence.

If the LO decides that an ‘extension’ is not a self-contained unit, then he/she places (on my understanding) a ‘marker’ on the Council Tax valuation list, to review the banding of the extended dwelling, upon the next ‘relevant transaction’ (in simple terms, a sale of the freehold, but also some leasehold transactions). The extension is known, in the LO’s terms, as ‘a material increase in value’. (You appear, from later in your post, to have some knowledge of ‘material increases’.)

Shagbite said 'i agree entirely with this. but nowhere in the op's question did i see anything to indicate that the extension is going to be a self contained unit. all he has told us of "what is physically there"is an extension with a boiler. a boiler on its own doesn't constitute a selfcontained unit and any bricks and mortar test would struggle to justifybranding it as one.'

Think that I have largely already covered this above? Happy to stand corrected and provide a comment/answer, if you point out to me what you consider I have missed.

Shagbite said 'i think you might have misread or misunderstood mystatement. i neither said, nor meant "the fact that an interconnectingdoor exists between an 'extension' and the 'original property' means that thetwo could never be classed as separate 'self contained units' and thereforeattract their own separate bandings in the council tax valuation list." -why would i say that? of course they could.'

What is it the ‘young people’ say, these days? Ah yes, ‘Mybad.’ Sorry. :smiley2:

Shagbite said 'i think my post would have been better if i'd written it as:

(1) installing a second boiler in an extension will not have any influence onthe council tax rating of the main building (obviously, the banding may bereclassified upon sale of the property by the present owners), nor will theinstallation of a boiler result in the extension being classified as a separateentity that requires its own rating (providing there is no supplementaryevidence to the contrary - plumbing for bathroom/kitchen etc.).

(2) if there is an adjoining door between thetwo buildings (accessed through a living room and not a shared hallway) it isclassed as an extension and not a self contained unit.

(3) your mate won't get charged two lots of council tax for one property (basedon the information provided). ''''''' '''' ','

Re (1) This is tricky!! One long sentence. First part, up to ‘present owners),’ - is true, provided that the ‘main property’ and ‘extension’ remain as one dwelling, rather than becoming two. If they become two, then (if the ‘main property’ was a detached dwelling) it has now become something different, because it is now ‘attached’ to another dwelling. It could, perhaps, be argued that this is a ‘material reduction’, as defined by section 24(10) Local Government Finance Act 1992. If so, an appeal could be made to the independent Tribunal, for the banding of the ‘main property’ to be reduced. Whether or not it was reduced, would depend upon the value, as at 1 April 1991, and subject to the other statutory assumptions for such valuations.

Second part – I would not stray from the ‘self-contained unit’ and ‘bricks and mortar test’ wording. The first phrase is in a Statutory Instrument [SI 1992 No.549] and the second is in decisions of the High Court [Jorgenson LO v Gomperts 2006] to give one example.

Re (2) On The Valuation Office Agency’s [VOA’s] website, their ‘Council Tax Manual, PracticeNote 5: Appendix 1: Case summaries relating to Disaggregation’ states, at 3.2 [Batty (LO) v Merriman) ‘NB: It is as a result of the judge’s comments in this case, that where access to the annexe is solely via a main room of the adjoining unit, it will not be considered separate living accommodation.’ So, true if this is solely the case, but not (on my understanding of the case law) if there is also (or is) a separate external access, or access via hall/stairs/landing of the ‘main property’.

Re (3) As stated earlier, the information provided is incomplete. I’m ‘fence sitting’ and saying contact the Listing Officer. Whence a decision to treat the ‘main property’ and the ‘extension’ as two dwellings/separate Council Tax valuation list entries could be the subject of one (or more) appeals to an independent Tribunal.

Shagbite said 'p.s. are you saying that there are situations in the high court involving the voa, regarding extensions with nothing more than a boiler? or do the court cases involve properties that are more akin to hmo's? '

I don’t know of any Council Tax ‘self-contained unit’ cases, appealed to the High Court by the LO and involving nothing more than a boiler. (My case law knowledge is current as of four years ago, so unsure if there is anything since then.) My understanding is that, the LO, in the early days of Council Tax, ‘picked and chose’ the ‘self-contained unit’ cases that it appealed to the High Court, to give a ‘spread’ of the sort of issues/problems that it was coming across, so that it could get some guidance as to how it should treat these in the future. As such, there could be several issues contained within each appeal and multiple appeals heard together [e.g. Batty (LO) v Burfoot and Others].

Second part of your ps - I will assume that you mean ‘Houses in Multiple Occupation’, as defined for Council Tax purposes, rather than ‘Houses in Multiple Occupation’ for planning. The two are not the same and I must confess as to knowing little/nothing about the latter. For Council Tax, another ‘can of worms’,unfortunately. If you still have the will to live after reading my reply, have a look at the VOA’s ‘Council Tax Manual, PracticeNote 6: Premises in Multiple Occupation (Aggregation of Dwellings)’. There are High Court decisions for this aspect of Council Tax and the Manual refers to these. My previous ‘rider’ about the (perhaps) differing interpretations of the VOA/LO and Chartered Surveyors in private practice still applies.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

Last edited:
I am sorry if this has caused a bit of confusion and controversy.

The only information that I have is that it is an extension to an existing house belonging to his daughter.

In the extension he wants to have wet underfloor heating and a shower off the boiler.

The run refers to the distance from the existing boiler , so he thought it would be prudent tofit a second boiler independent from the first to run all the facilities in the extension. When he suggested this to the builder he was told that this would bring the extension into a band of it's own for council tax purposes, another builder unconnected to the first confirmed that this would be the case.

Thanks for all your comments , and if I hear from him I will forward any information.

ruston said
I am sorry if this has caused a bit of confusion and controversy.

If you are saying ‘sorry’ to me, then it is kind of you, but not necessary. :smiley2: Nothing wrong with your question, in my opinion, and I submitted my initial post with my ‘eyes open’. In my experience, confusion and controversy has usually followed hastily drafted and enacted legislation and so it proved with Council Tax. The ‘grey area’, between what is clearly a ‘self-contained unit’ and what clearly is not, is where the problems have occurred. Maybe not so much of a problem now, due to guidance from the case law, but I would doubt that it has died a death completely.

I, for one, would be interested to know how your mate gets on – even if only to discover whether his builders were ‘on the money’ or completely ‘wide of the mark’.:smiley2:

By the way, if your mate is worried that contacting the LO will ‘let the cat out of the bag’ about the building work being carried out at his daughter’s property, don’t worry. If they have had to apply for planning permission, or Building Regs., the chances are that the LO will already know about it, or will find out in due course anyway, as they will be notified by the Local Planning Authority.:smiley2:

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins.

Reply to Bradford council rules , anyone clued up? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net