Discuss Breaking capacity for BS 3371 ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnstantine

Hi all

Can anybody tell me the breaking capacity of a BS 3371 circuit breaker? On the side of the breaker where it mentions breaking capacity it just says 'M9' , which I guess is some kind of reference.
Did a quick google search but to no avail.

Cheers

John

BS 3871

M9 is the breaking capacity hmm what is M now .......a thousand i think, 9000 then eh?

M is the symbol for the prefix Mega which means to multiply by 1,000,000 (a million), and you would normally put the value to be multiplied first eg 9M.
I've never seen an mcb with such a high level of breaking capacity, but thanks for the input.

9KA is the breaking capacity of a M9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

these symbols, M3.M6, etc. were devised before computer speak, M as in mille, 1000. see also millenium, 1000 years.

Tricky one that Tel, we readily accept mA and MΏ. Whichever way I looked at it I wouldn't believe either 9mA or 9MA for a MCB

Suppose it could be a Mega Circuit Breaker.

M is the symbol for the prefix Mega which means to multiply by 1,000,000 (a million), and you would normally put the value to be multiplied first eg 9M.
I've never seen an mcb with such a high level of breaking capacity, but thanks for the input.
Technically and scientifically, Johnstantine, you are 100% correct.Capital M means mega which means 10 to power of 6 (big) and m is milli which is 10 to the minus 3 (small). However I think we're all agreed the answer to your question is 9KA.

the romans started it. roman numerals, M = 1000. this was in the years BM (before metres). the word Mega ( for million ) was coined after WWII possibly in relation to H-Bombs , i.e.megaton.

Reply to Breaking capacity for BS 3371 ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net