Discuss Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

intelligent discussions --- americans --- you must be joking. :44:

Disagree. Whilst the more politically savvy, might have seen through either camps sandbagging or indeed genuinely knew the pros & cons for each side, there are a lot of people who didn't know what to make of the arguments either way, I include myself there.

In the end, I suppose most made an educated guess on which way to vote. The way each person came to that decision is debateable. But I think, some would of trusted the government, some just want out of EU full stop, economical consideration would of swayed either way, mitigating migrating was another pull and just 'trusting' a politician would have been another. Think that's how most GE's are won, i.e. Cameron v Miliband, Thatcher v Callaghan.

Therefore I think Boris did influence a lot of voters, he certainly attracted positive comments here from some members in the Brexit vote thread.

Anyhow, he's gone now, but I suspect he might turn up like a bad penny in a few months time posturing for some position, even might make another leadership bid in a few years time, if things go well for us outside the EU. Can hear it now 'I was the one that got us out of the EU'. Least Gove is open about his political manoeuvrings.

:shades_smile:

I think to compare the outcome of a referendum to that of a general election is like comparing chalk and cheese. What you can expect from a general election is difficult to research as you are comparing a load of promises with no substance that soon turn into lies, with the referendum there was the EU's past and present to review and also the future agendas of the few who call the shots within the EU who now appear more than ever determined to destroy the UK for going against them.

To be honest I think Cameron did more for the leave campaign than Boris & co did as neither side fought with good coherent arguments all the debates where brought down to two points while ignoring the bigger picture

I don't think you needed to be politically savvy to see through the sandbagging it all started with Cameron's so called "reform" that was hardly mentioned during the campaign apart from the legal opinions as to whether it would stand or fall if we chose to remain couple that with Turkey's will they won't they be members of the EU anytime soon and Cameron's less than convincing responses. The remain campaign supporters that popped up at various times made comments that would make you think the EU was a massive pot of money dishing out big grants to UK organisations on an almost daily basis and research, scientific development and other supported organisations would cease to exist if we left. On the other side you had the confusion of how much do we really pay the EU and I don't even think the EU itself knows that one.

The whole result was really down to how you gathered the information to make that informed or not so informed decision on which way to vote as non of the mainstream debates really delivered answers

The EU need to be careful ... if they decide to play hard ball and punish the UK, they will more than likely plunge the EU into recession..... which will be unhelpful to ALL of Europe, and potentially the world.

The EU need to be careful ... if they decide to play hard ball and punish the UK, they will more than likely plunge the EU into recession..... which will be unhelpful to ALL of Europe, and potentially the world.

if they do, we would retaliate ( they sell more to us than we sell to them ). after a couple of years, the yanks might decide to help out. :aureola:

if they do, we would retaliate ( they sell more to us than we sell to them ). after a couple of years, the yanks might decide to help out. :aureola:

With Merkel at the helm, I can't see this happening, she has an election next year and the UK accounting for 20% of their car production the last thing she wants is VW, Audi and BMW all on 4 day weeks

me neither. just needs the germans to keep the froggies in line. then again, we buy a lot of renaults, peugeots, and citroens. god know why.

Last edited:

Reply to Brexit fallout in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net