Discuss BS standards webpage in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Morning
Does anyone know a webpage or site where I can consult the electricity BS?
Currently I am able to access the NFPA standards but sometimes I have problems with Insurance companies so it would be great to have
a direct access.
Many thanks in advance

The publishers try hard to protect their copyright of British Standards, so there's cost involved for a legitimate version.
The simplest is to buy a hardcopy from a Bookshop (or purchase a hardcopy online - it's the brown version of BS7671)
If you want online access you can subscribe to the BSI or IET, or any one of a number of companies supplying international Standards.
It's just occurred to me your University may have such a subscription already set up (eg to Technical Indexes, IHS) so that may be a route?

The IET have a Bronze subscription offering for £73 p.a.
I don't think this forum accepts links to IET but if you replace xxxx below with t h e i e t (with no spaces) that might work!

If anybody knows of a legitimate way of obtaining a legit pdf of BS7671 that is not in someone else's ownership, I would be interested to hear, though probably not a good idea to advertise it here 🤫

Last edited:
The publishers try hard to protect their copyright of British Standards, so there's cost involved for a legitimate version.
The simplest is to buy a hardcopy from a Bookshop (or purchase a hardcopy online - it's the brown version of BS7671)
If you want online access you can subscribe to the BSI or IET, or any one of a number of companies supplying international Standards.
It's just occurred to me your University may have such a subscription already set up (eg to Technical Indexes, IHS) so that may be a route?

The IET have a Bronze subscription offering for £73 p.a.
I don't think this forum accepts links to IET but if you replace xxxx below with t h e i e t (with no spaces) that might work!

If anybody knows of a legitimate way of obtaining a legit pdf of BS7671 that is not in someone else's ownership, I would be interested to hear, though probably not a good idea to advertise it here 🤫
Many Thanks
I´ll go straight to the BSI institution if there is any annual subscription or something similar.

Many Thanks
I´ll go straight to the BSI institution if there is any annual subscription or something similar.
I used to have access to a BSI corporate subscription, which came at significant cost. It looks like the current minimum BSI subscription is for 10 standards p.a. Worth checking with them what the options are, but I would suggest the IET Bronze subscription might be more economical and more suited, especially if you need to refer to the related guides, which I think are included in the IET offering.

The UK public libraries should have a copy or several copies available for reference. I remember a thread about this many years ago but I can't find it now. From memory they should have a certain number of copies available but unless you live near a very big library you'll have to place an order and it could take a while.

Reply to BS standards webpage in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net