Discuss BS5266 Emergency lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jim90

-
Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

Just a quick question in regards to annual inspection and testing of emergency lighting as per BS5266. A supervisor at work has asked us as engineers to carry out a load of 3hour annual discharge inspections on various sites and a few engineers have refused to do this.
This is because our company test certificates say that the system has been checked in accordance to BS5266-1:2011. The engineer in question has said that systems need lux testing and a valid risk assessment carrying out to validate our accordance.
Our supervisor is asking us to carry out the work regardless as we have contractual obligations ( sh*t hit the fan as we haven't been carrying these out at all when we should have )
He says that aslong as the lights work to as they were installed and diffusers are clean etc. Then we should be fine to carry out a 3hour and carry out any repairs as necessary.
I'm stuck as I've been carrying these out and doing repairs to keep the office happy and some engineers are saying I should keep clear. I agree with the supervisor.
Anybody out there that has any experience with this legislation or testing? The internet is quite vague!

Afternoon guys,

Just a quick question in regards to annual inspection and testing of emergency lighting as per BS5266. A supervisor at work has asked us as engineers to carry out a load of 3hour annual discharge inspections on various sites and a few engineers have refused to do this.
This is because our company test certificates say that the system has been checked in accordance to BS5266-1:2011. The engineer in question has said that systems need lux testing and a valid risk assessment carrying out to validate our accordance.
Our supervisor is asking us to carry out the work regardless as we have contractual obligations ( sh*t hit the fan as we haven't been carrying these out at all when we should have )
He says that aslong as the lights work to as they were installed and diffusers are clean etc. Then we should be fine to carry out a 3hour and carry out any repairs as necessary.
I'm stuck as I've been carrying these out and doing repairs to keep the office happy and some engineers are saying I should keep clear. I agree with the supervisor.
Anybody out there that has any experience with this legislation or testing? The internet is quite vague!
This supervisor, he works for the firm that pays your wages does he? then I would listen to him as he is your supervisor and if there has been any errors it's his bum on the line not your mates

Why would you be lux testing an existing installation that has been designed to meet requirements?

All it needs is an annual 3 hour test and monthly user tests carrying out.
Not necessarily as you can complete a Certificate as per Annex K of BS5266-1:2016 for verifying an installations compliance with current standards, from my experience few do or ever did.

Because the Lux level might not be the same as to when it was installed? We are talking about installations that are 10+ years old. Aren't there specific requirements of Lux levels in escape routes etc? Apparently there is a specific course for this kinda thing. I'd be interested if anyone is trained in the relevant risk assessment training.

Yea sorry 5256:2011 is what our certificates are dates to, the un amended version. So they need to be updated.
Should an installation be upgraded to comply with 5266:2016? Or would it be recomendations? Uhh I don't know. I guess getting paid to sit around for 3 hours isn't so bad, worrying about this is out of my pay grade.

Safety systems must be fit for purpose and yes if existing installations are not fit for purpose with regards to current requirements they need upgrading.

Would I be right in thinking your company has taken over the testing and maintenance of these sites? In which case the relevant design, photometric data and plans need to be verified for compliance. If you don’t have these documents you have no choice other than to carry out verification using a lux meter and documenting the readings on a plan of the building. The system could have been designed to 0.5 lux as opposed to the more up to date 1 lux minimum light levels along escape routes. Are these fittings still able to perform as per the requirements after taking into account things like maintenance factor, lamp degregation? Has the layout of the building changed, the use of the building altered, colour scheme? All these factors can render the existing system non compliant. When you test these systems do you fill in the forms? Are you aware of the deviations you are required to list and know? Is the signage correct and fit for purpose, are illuminated signs being used to provide emergency illumination? Is there emergency lighting within 2 mtrs on horizontal plane of all call points, fire fighting equipment, fire alarm panels? If not and the relevant paperwork is not available then your supervisor needs to address this. In the mean time to cover your arse you might want to use wording similar to this on your declaration.
Without plans, valid original design, and photometric data, or an up to date lux test carried out compliance to BS5266 cannot be guaranteed. However what has been installed has been tested and found to work except for items listed on this certificate and in log book.

I agree with Pete on this one I usually go with what my boss tells me to do as at the end of the day he's paying me to be there and he's not asking for something dangerous or out of order

That is very admirable but I would be interested to see whose name gets put on the certificate as the person responsible for checking and testing the system. Experience has shown me when or if the preverbial hits the fan your boss or the person filling in the certificate will almost certainly try to blame you rather than stand up and say he or she only did what I asked them too and I knowingly told them to ignore listing all the deviations. It will almost certainly be they didn’t make me/us aware that there were deviations present or non compliance’s as none were listed.

Do you have copies of the standards to refer to?
For me, standards and the time to study them (training?) are the minimum if you are to be the one to sign the certificate.

Reply to BS5266 Emergency lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net