Discuss BS7671 Amd 3 consultation is out. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alanl

The first draft of amendment 3 is on the IET website (I think you have to be registered to download it).

No great changes apparently, slightly stricter RCD rules for socket outlets is the biggest change spotted so far.

Gave it a skim over this afternoon. Probably why I needed a nap before tea.

Some things I noticed that will probably reach discussion on the forum were:

• No skilled or instructed persons clause when omitting RCD protection from sockets anymore. Sockets must either be labelled or a written risk assessment must exist for the socket to have RCD protection omitted.
  • Adjusted Zs values.
  • Competent person definition scrapped. Replaced by electrically skilled or electrically instructed persons.
  • Escape routes in buildings have stricter requirements for containment/support of all LV systems. Plastic/PVC trunking and clips are out as a sole means of support due to their potential ineffectiveness at cable support during a fire.
  • Circuit breakers and RCDs are stated as not suitable for frequent on-load switching.
  • RCD protection for circuits passing through, not necessarily feeding, a bath or shower special location.
  • Sections on external lighting systems and ELV lighting systems have been updated and turned into special locations in section 7.
  • Model forms... updated MWC to include 5x RCD test. Schedule of inspections scrapped for EIC to be replaced with a list of examples of items to be inspected with reference to specific reg numbers.

Its all very well updating the regs but when are they going to do anything about the muppets ignoring them?

Oi Murdoch.........Part Pee 'Qualified' we'll have you know!
Z

cheers just registered , how can they change the Zs values , so you have just finished a job and the zs values just meet the regs , in 5 years time the eicr they will not

On an EICR although we test against current regs in force at the time, they are not retrospective, so if it was originally done correctly to 17th pre-amd3 you could not fail it due to it not complying to 17th amd 3, it would be either no code (with a note), or maybe a C3 depending.

Last edited:
On an EICR although we test against current regs in force at the time, they are not retrospective, so if it was originally done correctly to 17th pre-amd3 you could not fail it due to it not complying to 17th amd 3, it would be either no code (with a note), or maybe a C3 depending.

so if you are doing a eicr and the zs values dont comply you put a c3 , i am not questioning you just asking as i dont have a lot of experience in testing

On most EICR forms there is a box to fill in which states what edition/amd the installation complies/is installed to (if known).

If it is correct to that edition then it may not need a code at all, since they done away with the old code 4, you as the inspector would need to decide whether it warranted a code at all.

Some guidance is given in the ESC guides and other publications on how to deal with installations to earlier editions such as no RCD protection etc., but obviously as amd3 has not been finalised we have no guidance at the moment.
I would expect further guidance in due course.

Reply to BS7671 Amd 3 consultation is out. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net