Discuss BS7671 Paperwork + Self-Install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rsmck

As some of you may know (and express appropriate disdain ;)) I am in the process of rewiring my own home. I am not an electrician by trade nor am I part of any Part P schemes ( I live in Scotland before anyone else tells me it's illegal ;) )

Anyway I have (for my own comfort mainly) been conducting the appropriate tests as I go (R1+R2, IR, Zs, RCD Times etc) and recording the test results.

Question being do you think there is there any point in me recording this (and keeping it safe) in "proper" form on BS7671 compliant forms, effectively producing my own EIC - just think it'd look a little odd to have my own name in every place on it ;) - and would it prove useful to a future occupant 10-15 years down the line if we move on or am I better just to act like a typical DIYer and not bother with paperwork at all.

LABC here do not care if you rewire your own home - have that in black and white as I asked them to confirm if there was any form of notification or consent required at the same time as requesting a building warrant to remove a wall :)

One of the reasons why we test and complete a test certificate is for future reference so the sparky in ten years time whilst hopefully doing a PIR can cross examine his results with yours and decide when the next PIR is to take place or how bad the circuit/circuits have deteriorated. You know what I'm going to say next don't you, please get an electrician in to test and certify this install. There's so much more to this than what you know and a proper inspect and test will show up anything that you've missed, just have a PIR done.

One of the reasons why we test and complete a test certificate is for future reference so the sparky in ten years time whilst hopefully doing a PIR can cross examine his results with yours and decide when the next PIR is to take place or how bad the circuit/circuits have deteriorated.

In that case I'll keep it somewhere safe :)

You know what I'm going to say next don't you, please get an electrician in to test and certify this install. There's so much more to this than what you know and a proper inspect and test will show up anything that you've missed, just have a PIR done.

I had a feeling you might ;) I do somewhat object to "There's so much more to this than what you know" - I would never attempt to suggest I know the extent of anyone's knowledge and I don't think its your, or anyone else's, place to tell me what I do or do not know.

Whilst I accept I'm not an electrician, I've never claimed to be, at the end of the day it's following rules and regulations and knowing how to test to ensure compliance with them. My installation is to the 17th Edition of BS7671 and meets all legal requirements for where I live. It may take me a little longer than an experienced electrician, but I'll get there and I really do appreciate the professionals who take the time to answer queries on this forum and elsewhere.

I am also not a lawyer, but have learnt the relevant areas of legislation and represented myself and others in matters of small claims / minor road traffic offences and have, to date, been successful in each case.

If I don't understand something, i'll research it. If I can't find the answers, then I'll ask before doing anything that may put myself or someone else at risk.

This is not the first time I've rewired a property (the last was my one bedroom flat which was subsequently rented out and required an electrical inspection before this, it passed with no issue so please do not assume that everyone who isn't an electrician is incapable of doing the work to a high, and safe, standard)

I fully agree that there's a lot of people undertaking DIY electrical work without paying attention to the regulations and testing their installations but I do not believe I am one of them and if there's one thing that gives me the determination to do something properly, it's people who say I can't ;)

In that case I'll keep it somewhere safe :)

I had a feeling you might ;) I do somewhat object to "There's so much more to this than what you know" - I would never attempt to suggest I know the extent of anyone's knowledge and I don't think its your, or anyone else's, place to tell me what I do or do not know.

Whilst I accept I'm not an electrician, I've never claimed to be, at the end of the day it's following rules and regulations and knowing how to test to ensure compliance with them. My installation is to the 17th Edition of BS7671 and meets all legal requirements for where I live. It may take me a little longer than an experienced electrician, but I'll get there and I really do appreciate the professionals who take the time to answer queries on this forum and elsewhere.

I am also not a lawyer, but have learnt the relevant areas of legislation and represented myself and others in matters of small claims / minor road traffic offences and have, to date, been successful in each case.

If I don't understand something, i'll research it. If I can't find the answers, then I'll ask before doing anything that may put myself or someone else at risk.

This is not the first time I've rewired a property (the last was my one bedroom flat which was subsequently rented out and required an electrical inspection before this, it passed with no issue so please do not assume that everyone who isn't an electrician is incapable of doing the work to a high, and safe, standard)

I fully agree that there's a lot of people undertaking DIY electrical work without paying attention to the regulations and testing their installations but I do not believe I am one of them and if there's one thing that gives me the determination to do something properly, it's people who say I can't ;)

I am replying to your post as an electrician who believes that electrical installation in domestic properties, should be open to anyone who wishes to carry out that installation,as long as its under the supervision, and tested and inspected as the job progresses, by a qualified spark competent to test and inspect ( not all are capable of that)

It generally takes quite a few years before an apprentice trained electrician has both the knowledge, and most important of all, the experience to complete an installation withoiut supervision and to also be confident that it is both a safe and quality installation

I dont doubt your learning capabilities,but it is a little worrying that you believe after reading up on installation and test procedures, that you believe your own estimate of your capabilities to be adequate

If an installation has been constructed by you after just reading a few books and looking on the internet, then what you have done is both wrong and misguided for any future users of the installation

Without assessment of your level of experience and ability by others,its your own inexperienced assessment of yourself that has given you the confidence to dismiss advise, to "get an electrician in to test and inspect that work"(hopefully as you construct it)

Your post comes over as very arrogant and dismissive of the standard of experience and knowledge that is required

I can do most jobs on a car, anything I dont know.I can ask and look it up on the internet,but there are certain limits that I appreciate are best left in the capable hands of the trained mechanic,after all, motoring like electrical installation,can have dire consequences for a person when amateur maintenance and installation work has been carried out by someone who "thinks that have they have done it right"

I'm sorry to be have such strong objections to the content of your reply but, your inexperience and lack of knowledge is undelined by the statement you made, that I have quoted and underlined

Experienced and trained electricans will understand your overestimation of that understanding by the content of that sentence

Thank you Des for replying to him in such a professional manner, it is a lot better than what my reply was going to be. The word "competent" springs to mind, also the words "ungrateful, arrogance, condescending". No wonder why members on her are deciding not to answer DIYer question if this is the thanks we receive. Good luck with your DIY rewire and don't forget to inform your insurance company because they don't pay out on any house fire claim if not tested by a competent/qualified electrician. Look up electrical liability on who's shoulders it falls upon if any of your DIY goes wrong.

Sorry if you read too much into my statement regarding my previous property, however personally I believe that the fact that an NICEIC electrician inspected and tested my installation and did not raise any concerns would suggest that it was done to an acceptable standard. It was not meant to appear as arrogance and I apologise if it came across as such.

Interestingly my insurance company (and mortgage lender) had visibility of the home report which showed the extant wiring as "requiring immediate upgrading" (category 3) - I already enquired to ensure that they did not need a qualified electrician to carry out the work, nor did I need an EIC for the installation and they confirmed as long as the work was carried out to an acceptable standard there was no requirement to use a 'qualified electrician'.

Finally I am not new to the subject of electricity, I spent some time studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering although later changed my degree. So I do understand the basic concepts at least - i'm not just blindly connecting things together having "read a few books and looking on the internet"

I've heard enough, I'm out.
images-119.jpg

I've heard enough, I'm out.

Noted - anyone else got anything constructive to add ;)

If not, the mods might as well close this one if it's just going to turn into people being very arrogant and condescending towards another forum member to paraphrase paul.m's post ;)

Reply to BS7671 Paperwork + Self-Install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net