Discuss Builder looking to learn more in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JT101

Hi everyone

My goal is to learn more about electrics so that I can do basic tasks on the projects I work on, and also understand more so I can communicate with my electricians better and pre-empt any problems they face. Happy sparky = happy builder = happy client. Well in theory

OP. it's easy. enrol at a local college to do the 2365 levels 2 and 3. then go for AM2 and NVQ3. then get a job at pi$$ poor wages getting the practical experience. let us know how you get on in 2023.

Hi everyone

My goal is to learn more about electrics so that I can do basic tasks on the projects I work on, and also understand more so I can communicate with my electricians better and pre-empt any problems they face. Happy sparky = happy builder = happy client. Well in theory
Hi And welcome to the forum,

If you want a happy sparky my advise is as follows:-

1. Agree terms and conditions from word go and stick to them.
2. Make sure there is clear communication at all times
3. Make sure the sparky is fully aware of what your customer requirements are
4. Work together as a team, i.e include other trades in discussions and make plans together
5. Help the sparky out with/prepare cable routes and accessory points
6. Make sure the other trades take care not to cover/damage any electrical item during any part of the job.
7. Don't interfere with the sparky unless he/she asks or its absolutely necessary.
8. Advise the sparky of any additions/alterations regardless of how small they might seem.
9. Don't expect additional/alteration work to be free of charge!!
10. Allow the sparky enough time to complete the job in a satisfactory manner.
11. Expect the sparky to do the installation within the requirements of the BS7671 regulations, don't ask to ignore these or cut corners!
12. Make sure you pay in full, promptly in agreement with the terms and conditions!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

99% of builders I've come across are pretty much scumbags. Now I'm not saying you are. Builders move the goal posts, expect more work for no more money, use sparkies as scape goats and then ultimately withhold payment (usually blaming the customer). My bad debts have reduced to 0 since I stopped working for builders.

And the other 1% just doesn't exist :)

Hi And welcome to the forum,

If you want a happy sparky my advise is as follows:-

1. Agree terms and conditions from word go and stick to them.
2. Make sure there is clear communication at all times
3. Make sure the sparky is fully aware of what your customer requirements are
4. Work together as a team, i.e include other trades in discussions and make plans together
5. Help the sparky out with/prepare cable routes and accessory points
6. Make sure the other trades take care not to cover/damage any electrical item during any part of the job.
7. Don't interfere with the sparky unless he/she asks or its absolutely necessary.
8. Advise the sparky of any additions/alterations regardless of how small they might seem.
9. Don't expect additional/alteration work to be free of charge!!
10. Allow the sparky enough time to complete the job in a satisfactory manner.
11. Expect the sparky to do the installation within the requirements of the BS7671 regulations, don't ask to ignore these or cut corners!
12. Make sure you pay in full, promptly in agreement with the terms and conditions!!

Hope this helps.

Well said. An electrcians Nirvana!

The ONLY builder I work with introduces me to the clients during the bidding stage.... and a draft specification is written by me and a "rough" price is given once any changes are agreed.

As and when work starts, as changes get requested or issues uncovered, the spec is updated... and this is reflected in the pricing....

The ONLY builder I work with introduces me to the clients during the bidding stage.... and a draft specification is written by me and a "rough" price is given once any changes are agreed.

As and when work starts, as changes get requested or issues uncovered, the spec is updated... and this is reflected in the pricing....
Its a shame more builders didn't go about things this way! What gets to me is, construction is a team effort. In the grand scheme of things, all trades should support each other to accomplish the same common goal - complete a job and get paid! So why there is so much animosity between trades I find odd.

Its a shame more builders didn't go about things this way! What gets to me is, construction is a team effort. In the grand scheme of things, all trades should support each other to accomplish the same common goal - complete a job and get paid! So why there is so much animosity between trades I find odd.

ANY builder who expects me to work for an undefined spec, with no direct communication with the client, and payment when they want, won't be getting me on their team........

Reply to Builder looking to learn more in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net