Discuss Builders' or permanent supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Arthur

Hi everyone,
I'm building a new house and am at plastering stage - first fix electrics are finished. Western Power have brought a supply to the house into a white box on the wall, and fitted a fuse. nPower should be supplying the meter but they tell me they can't install the permanent meter before the second fix is finished - but they could give me a builders' supply if the electrician can fix a builders' board.

My electrician is not sure what they want with a builders' board and says they are a load of ......, which doesn't get me far. He says he's working on a house now similar to mine and Scottish Power simply put a meter in the box. The woman in the nPower office says she has no idea what they want and the electrician will know. I'm stuck. All my electrician can think of is that they want an earth but can't see the sense in wasting money fitting one only to remove it when the second fix is finished.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Just ask nPower to fit you a 100a double pole switch after the meter then they will not have to return as your electrician is allowed to access this. It may be chargeable but not sure.

Not fitted one for a while, but I think what they are asking for is,

A wooden board with a DP Isolator, an RCD/ MCB and a couple of sockets. That way the people on site can plug in their 110v trannies and run extension leads for working in the property,

Regards.

All the supply company want is a cert that says what they are conecting is safe (it covers their arse), be it a temp builders board as clive says, or a complete install. you could try asking for just a DP isolator, but knowing them they will think of some excuse not to do it..

Sykraps, Clive P, Edd and Lou7, many thanks for your help and suggestions.

If a supply to a building site should have an earth rod then I will get one fitted. My electrician wondered about this.

I think I shall try and ask nPower if the electrician can install the final CU etc, in its final position (but with and earth rod) and join it to a couple of 13amp sockets on the ground floor and a couple upstairs. But perhaps this will be too grand to call a 'builders' board'?

I shall have to try and tackle nPower again but I fear they will be completely unhelpful and not put me through to the technical people.

Thanks again.

Reply to Builders' or permanent supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net