Discuss Building Regs for Electricians courses at NESCOT, Epsom in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alig

Hello Chaps,

I'd like to do the 4th March course but they need a few more candidates to confirm that it will run. It's a good price and well worth a day's effort to get a C&G certificate. Could help electrician's to prove due diligence/competence if needed in the future. If anyone is interested, please call NESCOT ********* to book a place - no money needs to change hands until nearer the time. Happy Christmas.

Geoff

N9139
Building Regulations for Electrical Installations (City & Guilds 2393-10)
This course covers relevant building regulations for electrical installations in dwellings; approved documentation.

Wednesday, 4 March 2015
Wednesday, 27 May 2015
Wednesday, 8 July 2015

1 day
£195

Hi Alig, this is boarderline advertising, I've removed the contact number but I've let it stand.

Ok thanks. It's a pukka college not a private enterprise and it trades in not-for-profit education so it never occurred to me it could be construed as advertising. My first post in a year or so and I get it wrong.

Yep, he didn't post any outbound links and I don't see he would be making any direct financial gain plus it's an 'old school' (excuse the pun) type college of further ed so I cut it some slack.

This is that Part P cert that the training centers give to all the 17 day/ electrical trainee's. The same qualification that is basically totally pointless and can be completely taken on board just by reading the small section of part p of the current building regulations....

Why would anyone with half an ounce of common sense pay 195 quid for a day of training, that you don't need, then take an open book exam that you also don't need and will never be asked by anyone, to be produced??

Save your money, or Spend the money on something USEFUL would be my best advice to the OP!!

I see absolutely no problem with providing info about relevant courses at NESCOT (North East Surrey College of Technology), formerly known as 'Ewell Tech'.

After all, all sorts of educational establishments get mentioned on here, and we're allowed links to most suppliers, tools and materials.

Nescot's Past, Present and Future

Gas & Electrical Academy

My only interest is that I learnt BASIC programming there while at school nearby.

Cecil, Basic, Cobal, Fortran, Pascal, where are they now?

Quick BASIC; Turbo Pascal; C, and of course C++!

And some great operating systems like DESQview (a multi-tasking version of DOS); PC-DOS (better than MS-DOS) and my favourite - OS/2.

Those were the days...

Thank you for your advice Engineer 54. Having less than half an ounce of common sense and not being as gifted as you, could you please let me have your considered opinion: Are all City & Guilds certificates not worth having or just this one? What's the point of obtaining any qualification or certificate if you can just say 'I read the books'?

Thank you for your advice Engineer 54. Having less than half an ounce of common sense and not being as gifted as you, could you please let me have your considered opinion: Are all City & Guilds certificates not worth having or just this one? What's the point of obtaining any qualification or certificate if you can just say 'I read the books'?
just this one, you become part p registered automatically as soon as you sign up with say the niceic.

part p is a building regulation and there is not a lot that affects electricians, it is free to download from www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments

we have to comply with part m as well for access e.g. socket,switch heights etc.

it only covers domestic new builds/rewires by the way not comerical/industrial

Last edited:

Hi Ali.

Having completed the 2393 as part of my short courses I would say unless you can identify a particular need for the qualification avoid. It is a pretty unfailable open book multi choice exam, and as you will undoubtably be taught to the exam lots of relevant info will be missed on the course.

You do of course require the knowledge of building regs, but if you buy the 'electricians guide' and download the approved documents and other freely available info on the internet you can get all the info that the course would provide minus the fee. And you would have the additional benefit of finding your way around the proper documents.

I did the 2393 as part of my 'short course bundle' and found it to be pretty useless, but then again the course was just rehashing stuff that I had already read up on.

So as a Electrical Trainee I actually find myself in agreement with E54 for once.

Edit....

As for other C and G courses, you will need 2382 17th to join a scheme(this is a quote from the book exam). The 2394 would be beneficial to have, out of the short courses I completed it was the most worthwhile(also required by some schemes).

I assume you have done some form of installation training, as it would not be advisable to attempt the 2394 without some prior knowledge/experience as this one is failable otherwise.

I'm not a working spark so you know this is just my opinion having completed a few courses.

Last edited:

You said it, ...NOT me!! lol!!

Quite a few actually, a good example being the PAT testing C&G (by qualified electricians anyway)!! Basically any of these newer C&G certificates that nobody needs, or is not required by any official body!!

Then there are the EAL certificates, that as far as i can see are ''Open Book'' examinations, that in my opinion basically defeats the whole idea of having an examination in the first place.

. It's a good price and well worth a day's effort to get a C&G

Geoff

N9139
Building Regulations for Electrical Installations (City & Guilds 2393-10)
This course covers relevant building regulations for electrical installations in dwellings; approved documentation.
Wednesday, 4 March 2015
Wednesday, 27 May 2015
Wednesday, 8 July 2015
1 day
£195
[/QUOTE]

its a crap price, and All the C&G in the world still won't get me a gold CSCS card !!!!!

Reply to Building Regs for Electricians courses at NESCOT, Epsom in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net