Discuss Business Idea for my company,what do you think? Advice and help needed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Field service technicians/engineers - Just wondered has anyone decided to go down this route for work?

I am a self employed Electrician here in Dublin but work has gone very slow lately so I was thinking of either applying for a job,or maybe getting involved in the above area through my own company.
I got out of the domestic game a long time ago as I hated it (house wiring etc)and my main area as an Electrical Contractor is sub contracting into companies installing energy saving products,installing and maintaining VSD's and I had a number of contracts on call for various types of factories to maintain and repair plant and machinery.
I thought of maybe getting in touch with various companies in the UK and offering my services to them if they decided to branch out into Ireland.
For example I know of one or two factories in Ireland that have electrical equipment bought from the UK where they have to get a technician over from the UK to repair the product if anything goes wrong.
What I was thinking was I could cut out the cost for the company needing the product repaired as I would not be charging travel/hotel costs etc and it would also mean the UK company would have a presence in Ireland thus making them a more attractive option for Irish companies to do business with them as there would be a 'local' technician/electrician available at short notice.Ireland is fairly small and I can be in any part of Ireland within 3-4 hrs.
If anyone works for a company like this or knows of companies I could contact I would really appreciate it.
Don't worry about me taking work or contracts off you as I am in Ireland and I am only interested in working in Ireland.

I hope to find companies that want to branch out into the Irish market or like the example I have given above are already in Ireland but are based in the UK and don't have any personnel in Ireland.
Also I'd be eager to know if my idea is a good one or not,any advice much appreciated.

Your idea sounds attractive from the factory side of things more so I think so perhaps it would be worth trying to make contact with those that you know use UK machinery and get the details of the company that they use so that you can contact them.

I once had to do a job for Sainsbury's (refit) in Ireland and it took us ages to get there so I'd dread to think of the position a company could be in if an important machine went down that stopped production?

Definitely worth asking some questions:thumbsup

Also, if you can get a foot in the door then that would give the UK company more of a lever to approach other companies too... How's your sales technique? They may require a rep too :D

would you be interested in removing small equipment from shops and petrol stations and sending it to Scotland for repair , then when it arrives back refitting it and turning on/setting back up? I may have a contact for you.

Reply to Business Idea for my company,what do you think? Advice and help needed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net