Discuss Business Start-up Help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently gone self employed, I am eager to get started but finding it difficult to drum up business. I have tried marketing myself on social media and local classifieds but haven't had much success.

just so you are all aware i have been fully qualified electrician for over 8 years and a member of NAPIT

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started and generate business as a new electrical business? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dont worry... it'll come.

I went self employed in 2017 after a decade away from the tools in a different career. Started off with local neighbours, family and friends. Slow to start, then Covid halted any momentum. I'm picking up again now, lots of EICR's on holiday cottages....

A website was a waste of money in my case, even though i kept it updated. A business facebook page has brought in quite a bit.... and Google... if you can get yourself listed in their business profile set up.... you'll appear on google maps as a local business.

It looks like you are in Thornaby?
Stockton has a branch of the Men's Shed charity.
Look to see if there's a branch even nearer you.
I do voluntary work for my local branch and the number of enquiries I get from that is amazing.
Ask if they need anything fixed or installed in the Shed, do it gratis, leave cards, members will be happy to contact you for their own work.
It might only be small domestic stuff, outside lights, extra sockets, fitting an induction hob etc but it's all good work and might give you a foothold...
My last enquiry was for a complete rewire on a Victorian 5 bedroom house...too big for me to do on my own, but it's getting done in collaboration with another electrician friend, and client happy to delay until late Autumn when we are both free. More than enough profit there to compensate for all the freebies, and for every good job, more enquiries appear.

Try and get into bed with a local kitchen guy or bathroom guy etc
If you can find a decent builder to work with then this is also good but most builders can be a nightmare so be careful.
Estate agents is another avenue , EICRs and small works etc
A website isn;t a bad idea but don;t need to spend the earth on a website with free social media being the way it is these days.

Oh have you made some YouTube vids ? start a YouTube channel

GET SOME LEAFLETS PRINTED AND DISTRIBUTE LOCALLY. GET SOMEONE YOU TRUST TO DELIVER.

Tap into the high end domestic market .Printing "flyers" is dirt cheap . Getting them delivered is not a lot to spend . I know one guy near me in North London who has 2 x vans parked all over the "best areas" .His wife moves them around . Good advertising as people tend to remember trades working near them etc etc . The vans are not expensive . nicely signed up etc . SFA inside ! So with his van he seems to many to be a very busy guy in a rich neighbourhood !

Tap into the high end domestic market .Printing "flyers" is dirt cheap . Getting them delivered is not a lot to spend . I know one guy near me in North London who has 2 x vans parked all over the "best areas" .His wife moves them around . Good advertising as people tend to remember trades working near them etc etc . The vans are not expensive . nicely signed up etc . SFA inside ! So with his van he seems to many to be a very busy guy in a rich neighbourhood !
If you are doing leaflet drops being specific and target posh areas with nice looking cars in the driveways etc

Reply to Business Start-up Help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net