Discuss Calculate the appropriate size of the protective conductor exam question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
fault = 400 A
Operating time of protective conductor = 0.15 s
Constant k, for the material of the conductor = 134

a 1.5mm
b 2.5mm
c 4.0mm
d 6.0mm

Just want to make sure I've got this right,

These are often difficult questions, because although your calculation is correct - leading to the answer 1.5mm^2 there are sometimes related regulations.

So if the question relates to final circuits etc (I.e. twin & earth or whatever), this would be correct.

However, if the question relates to other areas, there are minimum conductor sizes - depending upon if the conductor is protected or not.

On face value, I would assume 1.5mm^2

Examiners tend to have a specific situation in mind when they write questions, which often isn't clearly presented

These are often difficult questions, because although your calculation is correct - leading to the answer 1.5mm^2 there are sometimes related regulations.

So if the question relates to final circuits etc (I.e. twin & earth or whatever), this would be correct.

However, if the question relates to other areas, there are minimum conductor sizes - depending upon if the conductor is protected or not.

Examiners tend to have a specific situation in mind when they write questions, which often isn't clearly presented
Thank you so much for your help 👍🏻 much appreciated 🙂

thank you so much for your help, much appreciated 👍🏻🙂

Reply to Calculate the appropriate size of the protective conductor exam question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net