Discuss Can I complete a Periodic Inspection? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spoon242

Hey guys,

I have been asked by a work mate it I can complete a Periodic Inspection Report for his brother who is in the middle of buying a house which the insurance company have required a survey of the electric's assessed.
I am booked to take my 2391 in July but they need the report sooner. Would I not be deemed competant to carry out this task if I had not qualified 2391 ya think?

What is the stance on this, Im not very experienced at Periodics due to my company using outside contractors to complete our check because of the size of the place and limited reseource.
Thanks in advannce,

Julian.

In a word Yes you can carry out a PIR if you see yourself as competant without the 2391. Now i see you have stated that you are not experienced at PIR's so only you will know if you are competant to complete one.

The thing about it is that if you do a PIR and there are any reprocussions then the 2391 would be the way to prove that you are competant, without it you could be in diffs.

A word from my assessor....Insurance companies are looking to come together and say any Electrical Condition Reports undertaken by non scheme members without the 2391 will be invalid. Aviva are rallying this!

At present though you are ok

You may not have to do a full PIR but it would be better if you did. The insurance company will want to know if the electrics are in a good, safe, working order incase of an electrical fire in which case they would have to pay out. Earthing arrangements with a Ze reading, size of main earth, is bonding present, age of installation, cpcs present, type of protection and additional protection etc etc. This is a good opportunity for you to get some testing experience but please make sure you do it safely and unplug everything before doing an IR test. In other words mate, go for it if you believe you are competent to carry out the work and if your doing the 2391 next month you should be, if your unsure about anything just ask on here, there's some brilliant testers in this forum that I'm sure are happy to help. Good luck.

As the Serv pointed you may find that the insurance company will want you to be affliated to a scheme mostly likely the NICEIC, as that is the market prescence for them.

I would definately think about doing it if you didn't have Public Indenmity Insurance as you will be signing a piece of paper giving your expert opinion on the continued use of the installation, and if anything goes wrong, it will be you that will have to answer questions.

It's nice to help mates out, but make sure that helping them is not putting you into a position where it may have come backs, my granny always told me

The path to hell is paved with good intentions, as she was usually right.

Malcolm has a very good point there about having PLI. Watch your back incase anything goes wrong. It may be better to punch up your location and see if a member can do this PIR and you tag along for the experience?

My sensible head tells me exactly what Malcomsanford is saying, and until I have my 2391 & my insurance for my new business I would like to kick off in March 2012 following redundancy I am not covered.

By my worried about 2391 brain tells me great experience chance.

I will give it some thought, and thanks for the support guys, much appreciated.

Malcolm has a very good point there about having PLI. Watch your back incase anything goes wrong. It may be better to punch up your location and see if a member can do this PIR and you tag along for the experience?

That is a great idea, I will look into it with my friend and see what he thinks about the idea. I had already told him NO I didnt think I would be able to do it and he came to terms with having to pay for an PIR.

A word from my assessor....Insurance companies are looking to come together and say any Electrical Condition Reports undertaken by non scheme members without the 2391 will be invalid. Aviva are rallying this!

At present though you are ok

I dont doubt your information and it is just a question, but where did that perception come from?

I read of an householder who didn't have part p works certificated and notified who was selling his home
It looked as though part p was going to be a stumbling block because of the buyers insurance company request

A solicitor resolved the issue by having the seller take out insurance for a very small fee for cover of the electrical installation,this resolved it and is becoming a standard practice for the ins companys

The insurance companies would have to backtrack on this sort of practice, not encourage and stimulate non compliance, before any insurance led initiatives could become a reality
It seems they are playing their cards with a bent deck

all sound posts there, grudginly have to admit malcolm is right as usual ( altzeimers well under control ) LOL. as well as the other posts. insurance companies will try any means fair or foul , to get out of paying out on a claim.

I dont doubt your information and it is just a question, but where did that perception come from?

I read of an householder who didn't have part p works certificated and notified who was selling his home
It looked as though part p was going to be a stumbling block because of the buyers insurance company request

A solicitor resolved the issue by having the seller take out insurance for a very small fee for cover of the electrical installation,this resolved it and is becoming a standard practice for the ins companys

The insurance companies would have to backtrack on this sort of practice, not encourage and stimulate non compliance, before any insurance led initiatives could become a reality
It seems they are playing their cards with a bent deck

My assessor reckons Napit and Aviva are in some sort of discussion over Periodics/condition reports. Apparently they will only accept reports from scheme members with the right qualification in the near future. So I am told

In all honesty is that a bad thing? Insurance company knows that the PIR is completed by a qualified electrician. The home owner feels safer and the electrician is getting work after all the effort he/she has put in getting quals, insurance, running costs of having a small business etc, also may get extra work VIA the insurance company? Is this another attempt at chasing the cowboys out of town?

That is a great idea, I will look into it with my friend and see what he thinks about the idea. I had already told him NO I didnt think I would be able to do it and he came to terms with having to pay for an PIR.

I have just spoken with my friend and he believe's it to be a valid option, one for a forum member to complete the PIR. And if it be cool, I would like to come along for the experienceand pick up some pointers in preperation for my 2391 at the beginning of July.
The house is in Godalming, Surrey and he is checking later today if in fact his brother has not already yellow paged a local electrician to complete the inspection for him.

The house is a 3 bed semi ex council from the 50's which he thinks maybe with original wiring. It's empty and has been cleared completly.

I will post later with more detail if an inpector is still required

Don't get me started on that qual...Its a shambles

Interested to see if I could find anything relevant to the Napit - Aviva discussions and found this on an Aviva site

As a general guide most competent electrical installation companies are
registered with The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contractors (NICEIC) which carries out independent checks on quality and workmanship. Membership of the Electrical Contractors Association is also a good test of compliance.

https://help.aviva.co.uk/risksolutions/safety-management/REF_HF5027

Have a look where it says general safety

If Napit cared to research their partners, they would find that they promote our competitors only
icon9.png

Reply to Can I complete a Periodic Inspection? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net