Discuss Can I use a dimmable LED bulb in this table lamp? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have just bought this dimmable (three-stage) lamp.

The descriptions states: "Bulbs required 1 x golfball SES small edison eco halogen bulb"

Do you think it has to be an E14 dimmable "eco halogen" bulb? Or do you think I can I get an E14 dimmable LED bulb?

answer id NO. fitting is not designed for LED.

A simple dimmer, or one of these 3 step dimmers work by reducing the voltage going into the lamp.... so 230v full brightness.... 115v half bright etc.

Halogens and old filament bulbs work perfectly well at lower voltages... just dimmer... um obviously.

Fluorescent lights and LED lamps only work at full voltage because of the electronics involved. Although some work between a range of voltages, the brightness is the same.

Dimmable LED lamps require special dimmers designed for the purpose, and it’s a little hit and miss getting them to work.
Good quality dimmers and good quality lamps are required

Have seen similar end result is
a bit bright on lowest setting
unstable on mid brightness ,
behaves on high
.. Not advisable ( Guarantees voided )
(but mines not gone bang yet )
..Will investigate RFI over Xmas !

Reply to Can I use a dimmable LED bulb in this table lamp? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Can I use multiple GU10 led lamps with their own PIR sensors in the same room? I have a row of existing lamps 600mm apart in a straight line & I...
Replies
Views
Good Morning, I've used this forum for advice many times but this is my first time posting so I hope that this community can help! We're...
Replies
Views
I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views
I have a street light circuit on land I rent out. I need to replace 2 of the bulbs. 1 of them is an old Philips 55W SOX Plus, the other is a...
Replies
Views
Hello! I design and build lamps, which has been a simple task so far, but I've decided to dip my toe into the dubious world of 120v LED PCBs for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock