Discuss Can you put a 32amp fuse spur off of a socket for an electric shower or does it have to go through consumer box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

From experience...

there may be a 32A in the board, but you have to check the supply coming into the caravan. Possibly only 16A
Good shout. Though touring caravan or static caravan?
If touring and it's on a UK camp site - definitely 16A supply. If you are using a 3pin plug to 16A converter at home then it's on a 13A supply. Both are sadly unsuitable for that shower.
A static caravan could have any supply though!

We had that exact situation when I ran a site... A customer had her bathroom all done by a family member, with electric shower... no one thought to ask an electrician! They just stuck a 40A into the board, wired it in 6.00mm and never looked at the cable supplying the board.

you’re right in saying that a static could, in theory have any size of supply.... up to the 100A isolator fitted in the board... but 16 is normal.

Good shout. Though touring caravan or static caravan?
If touring and it's on a UK camp site - definitely 16A supply. If you are using a 3pin plug to 16A converter at home then it's on a 13A supply. Both are sadly unsuitable for that shower.
A static caravan could have any supply though!
Its static its got a mains electic supply but only basic consumer box in van. Ive run another 2 seperate ciruits to shed for lights and sockets just wasnt sure how easy changing consumer box would be for shower as no free spots. Guess its time to get an electrician haha

We had that exact situation when I ran a site... A customer had her bathroom all done by a family member, with electric shower... no one thought to ask an electrician! They just stuck a 40A into the board, wired it in 6.00mm and never looked at the cable supplying the board.

you’re right in saying that a static could, in theory have any size of supply.... up to the 100A isolator fitted in the board... but 16 is normal.
Can see why they done it as logically it should be that simple but nothing is ever that simple think il just get it all in place and get an electrician in. Thanks for reply

it's time to change the shower for one run off the gas boiler. that way the boiler heats the water, not the electrical supply, which is woefully inadequate for that sort of load.

Old static caravans only had a gas fired water heater.... showers were low pressure and not much good.... but what do you expect in a tin box?

The newer vans have domestic style central heating boilers that give hot water on demand and wet radiators.

your caravan should have some gas system installed.... get it checked regularly, and it will be fine... cheaper to run than any electric heating.

You absolutely cannot run a '32a fuse spur' off your socket circuit for an electric shower, and regardless, I doubt your caravan supply would be capable of running an electric shower. Generally 16a from what I've seen.

Reply to Can you put a 32amp fuse spur off of a socket for an electric shower or does it have to go through consumer box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net