Discuss Cannot have a Spur off a spur but can use an extension lead? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but why is it that you cannot (I think) run a spur off a spur but can connect an extension lead with loads of sockets on it? My son needs about six sockets in a new kitchen where there is only one double socket at present. How can it be done? As a matter of interest, we are trying to get an electrician in the Whitehaven, Cumbria area with no success. Are they all too busy?

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for that, so if a fused double socket could be found (if such a thing exists), would that be OK?
Or if I’m understanding correctly you could spur of off the double into a 13a fused spur and put what you like after that point, although probably not a great design in a kitchen if I’m honest….thinking tumble dryer iron kettle toaster…..you’ll soon get bored of that fuse popping….plenty of good sparks on here from your way I’m sure one of em will be happy to have a look ?

Is the double socket currently in the kitchen already a spur? If it is part of a ring final circuit (RFC) then that ring could be looped around another couple of sockets.

Kitchens normally need proper provision of power (professionally, not necessarily by Peter Piper...) as they are often the highest concentration of high power appliances, such as cookers, dishwashers, kettles, washing machines, etc. All heat stuff and that is power-hungry. So really it is something you should consider having done by a spark.

As already mentioned, if you have an over current protective device such as a 13A fuse then whatever you add beyond that can't overload the supply cable, as if it is already a spur it is probably on 2.5mm cable and that is often only able to carry 20A (or occasionally less, if in a hot region or thermally well-insulated) so by extending it carelessly you risk it overheating as (probably) the RFC feeding it is on a 32A breaker due to the provision of two cables to each point.

Just found these:

MK 13 Amp Double Pole Fused Triple Switched Socket

Isn't this just like have a 'built in' extension lead?
Essentially, yes. They include the 13A fuse as there is a high probability of it being used as a spur.

What is "legitimate" is to have a 13A FCU feeding a set of sockets, essentially a hard-wired extension lead, but as already said, it is bad practice in most cases as the end users typically will NOT calculate the usage and so will blow the fuse regularly and be tempted to do something stupid like stick a bolt in its place. Really if it is more than the odd "I need a 3rd socket" for a bedroom or similar then it should be done properly, so extending the ring, wiring in a new circuit, or in some cases when the house wiring is already screwed up by past DIY/builders monkeying with things by dropping the supply OCPD to 20A so all 2.5m wire is fairly safe.

Is the double socket currently in the kitchen already a spur? If it is part of a ring final circuit (RFC) then that ring could be looped around another couple of sockets.

Kitchens normally need proper provision of power (professionally, not necessarily by Peter Piper...) as they are often the highest concentration of high power appliances, such as cookers, dishwashers, kettles, washing machines, etc. All heat stuff and that is power-hungry. So really it is something you should consider having done by a spark.

As already mentioned, if you have an over current protective device such as a 13A fuse then whatever you add beyond that can't overload the supply cable, as if it is already a spur it is probably on 2.5mm cable and that is often only able to carry 20A (or occasionally less, if in a hot region or thermally well-insulated) so by extending it carelessly you risk it overheating as (probably) the RFC feeding it is on a 32A breaker due to the provision of two cables to each point.
Thanks for the informative reply. I would love to employ a sparky, if I can find one. Two came, looked at it and suggested a new consumer unit (which we do need) and various other suggestions. Not heard from them since. I don't smell so do not understand why we cannot get one. Need someone to fit a new, larger consumer unit and extra sockets in various places. I can do some thing myself but consumer units are a no no. I would prefer the other wiring to be done as we would then get a certificate (I hope).

Thanks for the informative reply. I would love to employ a sparky, if I can find one. Two came, looked at it and suggested a new consumer unit (which we do need) and various other suggestions. Not heard from them since. I don't smell so do not understand why we cannot get one. Need someone to fit a new, larger consumer unit and extra sockets in various places. I can do some thing myself but consumer units are a no no. I would prefer the other wiring to be done as we would then get a certificate (I hope).
Can you post a photo of the CU?

If there is no RCD provision for the sockets then any legitimate sparky won't fit more - it is against the regulations as they now stand (replacing a broken socket is OK though). If you can post an approximate location (e.g. town) there might be someone on here that covers your area.

In England and Wales replacing a CU is notifiable work under Part P of the building regulations. That was brought it largely due to the number of fires and other safety incidents. While Scotland and (I think) NI don't have that specific rule yet, the CU should be considers as a job only for professionals: folk with the knowledge, practical skills, and test equipment to do it safely.

Can you post a photo of the CU?

If there is no RCD provision for the sockets then any legitimate sparky won't fit more - it is against the regulations as they now stand (replacing a broken socket is OK though). If you can post an approximate location (e.g. town) there might be someone on here that covers your area.

In England and Wales replacing a CU is notifiable work under Part P of the building regulations. That was brought it largely due to the number of fires and other safety incidents. While Scotland and (I think) NI don't have that specific rule yet, the CU should be considers as a job only for professionals: folk with the knowledge, practical skills, and test equipment to do it safely.
Please find attached pic. If you wanted the inside pic let me know. I live in Whitehaven, Cumbria.

Attachments

• Consumer unit.JPG
    595 KB · Views: 51
That's an interesting one. It's certainly a very good brand - I rejoice if I find a Hager in a domestic property!
I think there's at least two spare ways on it and there looks to be enough height to get RCBO's in, so a new up-to-regs circuit for the kitchen might be possible without a new board.
Changing all circuits to RCBO would cost almost as much as a new loaded board though - so this is one to weigh up in terms of desired outcomes.

Shame no labels! I'm guessing up/down lights, up/down RFC (sockets), immersion heater, cooker?

As @timhoward says Hager are a top brand but, while i have used them commercially, I don't know how long they have retained compatibility. One for @westward10 ?

If budget is tight, etc, then I would consider changing the MCBs for the socket circuits to RCBOs and, provided the kitchen socket is on one of the RFC, extend that to a few more. These days most circuits should have RCD protection as there have been deaths attributed to penetrating cables buried in walls, but pragmatically it is the sockets on ground floor (where extension leads are likely used outside) and on any floor if bathroom heated towel, etc, that are by far the biggest risk for shock.

Shame no labels! I'm guessing up/down lights, up/down RFC (sockets), immersion heater, cooker?

As @timhoward says Hager are a top brand but, while i have used them commercially, I don't know how long they have retained compatibility. One for @westward10 ?

If budget is tight, etc, then I would consider changing the MCBs for the socket circuits to RCBOs and, provided the kitchen socket is on one of the RFC, extend that to a few more. These days most circuits should have RCD protection as there have been deaths attributed to penetrating cables buried in walls, but pragmatically it is the sockets on ground floor (where extension leads are likely used outside) and on any floor if bathroom heated towel, etc, that are by far the biggest risk for shock.
From left to right the CB's control: 1. Kitchen oven and left hand skts, 2. kitchen RH skts, 3. Gas boiler and upstairs skts (three floors), 4. Living room and lounge skts, 5. some downstairs skts, 6. all lights

From left to right the CB's control:
I was going right to left from main switch.
1. Kitchen oven and left hand skts, 2. kitchen RH skts, 3. Gas boiler and upstairs skts (three floors), 4. Living room and lounge skts, 5. some downstairs skts, 6. all lights
#5 seems unlikely it is a 6A MCB so sockets won't hold up much!!!

#2 is odd, could be like my kitchen when an old immersion heater circuit was repurposed as a socket. Are those the sockets you want to extend? If so, and it is wired in 2.5mm (have to double-check that as potentially 1.5mm could be used on a 16A circuit) then replacing with a 20A RCBO and extending as a radial would be reasonable, so long as total load at any time is less then 4.6kW

I was going right to left from main switch.

#5 seems unlikely it is a 6A MCB so sockets won't hold up much!!!

#2 is odd, could be like my kitchen when an old immersion heater circuit was repurposed as a socket. Are those the sockets you want to extend? If so, and it is wired in 2.5mm (have to double-check that as potentially 1.5mm could be used on a 16A circuit) then replacing with a 20A RCBO and extending as a radial would be reasonable, so long as total load at any time is less then 4.6kW
I agree that 5 is odd but it is a 6A and IS controlling some downstairs skts. Will have another check tomorrow as to exactly what skts it is controlling. I do need to add another two cct breakers and will use RCBO's. Don't know what type/size to get though. I posted earlier the type that might be suitable. (Do they all tend to be mini ones?)

Reply to Cannot have a Spur off a spur but can use an extension lead? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net